BKSSpellChecker.plugin in Formatted Text Control Corrupted?

I downloaded the Formatted Text Control code today to demo as we have a new project coming up that may require something like this. Unfortunately, I am unable to get any of the demo projects to compile. It appears that the included BKSSpellChecker Plugin is not loading correctly.

When I go to About Xojo and check the “Plugins” tab, I see the following;

Any ideas of what may be wrong here? Is it a corrupt plugin? Anyone know of where I could get a good copy? Is there something obvious I am missing?

I should probably point out that this is with Xojo 2021r2.1 on a M1 Pro MacBook Pro 14".

can you scroll to the right and read the error message behind the path?

I would not expect the BKSSpellChecker Plugin to work in the future. It is not supported. You can add spellchecking by using the MBS plugin on macOS and on Windows.

The error message is as follows:

BKSSpellCheckerDemo.xojo_plugin (dlopen(/var/folders/vb/19vg0pl93v5g1vmlr30gnx_80000gn/T/Sxx6OR.libSpellCheckerDemo.dylib, 0x0001): tried: '/var/folders/vb/19vg0pl93v5g1vmlr30gnx_80000gn/T/Sxx6OR.libSpellCheckerDemo.dylib' (fat file, but missing compatible architecture (have 'x86_64,i386', need 'arm64e')), '/private/var/folders/vb/19vg0pl93v5g1vmlr30gnx_80000gn/T/Sxx6OR.libSpellCheckerDemo.dylib' (fat file, but missing compatible architecture (have 'x86_64,i386', need 'arm64e')))

I understand if BKSSpellChecker Plugin is not supported anymore. However, it appears to be a required part of FTC. If it is not, it is not obvious how to make it work without.

But, to be fair, I’ve only attempted to use the demo projects so far and have not done any further in-depth research.

Sounds like the plugin is not updated for Apple Silicon.

You may be able to use FTC with commenting out the plugin calls.

You kann disable the use of BKSSpellChecker in FTC. Go to FTC > FTC Config > FTCConfiguration and set BKS_SPELLCHECK_ENABLED to False. Since the Plugin won’t load correctly in your IDE (works fine here), you should also delete the BKS Spell Checker folder from the project.

2 Likes

I was able to get the demo working by removing the BKSSpellChecker folder and changing the global variable. Thank you!

However, one of the things that drew us to this was the spell-checking abilities. I understand that FTC is now open source and therefore support is not a guarantee. But, is there a solution to this at all? Or, is there another solution similar to FTC that is now the way to go for such a solution?