BKeeney rant - I agree.

Bob posted in Oct about the 2.0 API. And I agree, to whatever it may do:

What I could use today is Web 2.0.
What I could use today is a desktop grid control, and a simple built-in Date picker.
What I know others need today is built-in PDF export and viewing.
It’s almost criminal how old the RegEx libraries are.

And for me, given that SO many of my clients DON’T want an Android or iOS app, but a web app instead, the Web 2.0 thing is becoming more important.
Android is taking over iOS, but app fatigue is causing phone users to NOT want to install another app. So web/cloud apps offer a better value for clients. And that trend is what I see. Almost 100% of my clients end up buying a web app over a native iOS/Android app.

So, that’s my two cents.

Of course. Many parts in the desktop framework and the whole Web are obsolete. If they cant keep up with this, why try to get into the mobile market that is changing even faster.

What I could use today is a Time picker
What I could use today is SVG for decent graphics in diffeerent DPI
What I could use today is a better Bevel Button
What I could use today are decent reporting
What I could use today is an up to date XSLT (xojo supports the one from 1999)
etc

:frowning:

Please contact Geoff directly to express your opinion. Not that I believe it will change anything but you might feel better. I’ve been trying for over a decade to get things I need for my day-to-day work and mostly it’s gone unfulfilled.

I could use a weblistbox header that I could change the height of!

Markets.

Mine needs things working offline, and online just for updates, so native apps are my way for those.

iOS is a ridiculous small market in Brazil compared to Android (and most of the world), so I don’t care about iOS.

MacOS is a very small niche market in Brazil so I care about it just for personal use, but I really care about Windows.

Yes, I like the Web Apps too and have applications for it but I don’t like the single core thing for a heavy load task like that (hundreds of people using it at same time).

Most of the libs for those functionalities you guys mentioned already exists, open source, just need some integration into the framework (SVG, PDF (creation/writing/editing), RegEx, ZIP files, Barcodes/QR, etc). Xojo needs to integrate those well known, famous and expected free functionalities into their libs. The plugin market must work with the specialized/exotic content, not the daily thing everybody expects from the “Standard libraries” of a century XXI IDE.

Adding to your rants, the CEF3 Webkit, already working in Windows, must be available for Mac and Linux for a seamless X-plat UX. Maybe the work is almost 70% ready.

In a Desktop App, I stack two WLB’s with the top one being 1 row high with the height, font, colors, effects, etc. that I want. Could you try that assigning a Style to the top WebListBox?

[quote=466000:@Rick Araujo]Markets.

Mine needs things working offline, and online just for updates, so native apps are my way for those.

iOS is a ridiculous small market in Brazil compared to Android (and most of the world), so I don’t care about iOS.

MacOS is a very small niche market in Brazil so I care about it just for personal use, but I really care about Windows.

Yes, I like the Web Apps too and have applications for it but I don’t like the single core thing for a heavy load task like that (hundreds of people using it at same time).

Most of the libs for those functionalities you guys mentioned already exists, open source, just need some integration into the framework (SVG, PDF (creation/writing/editing), RegEx, ZIP files, Barcodes/QR, etc). Xojo needs to integrate those well known, famous and expected free functionalities into their libs. The plugin market must work with the specialized/exotic content, not the daily thing everybody expects from the “Standard libraries” of a century XXI IDE.

Adding to your rants, the CEF3 Webkit, already working in Windows, must be available for Mac and Linux for a seamless X-plat UX. Maybe the work is almost 70% ready.[/quote]

Visual Studio does not have those built in its not quite standard to build such things in. So I don’t see its unfair or unexpected that Xojo does not have them. While it is more standard to have all the base solid core language and IDE and editor, all of which have drifted decades behind.

I would not intend to compare Xojo with anything, and will avoid, but as you touched VS, what VS does not have already installed, we get through the NuGet tool like https://www.nuget.org/packages/PdfSharp/1.50.5147 . As they have many options of free PDF, there’s no need to MS do it again themselves, and they would, if we have not one. As they did with the Entity Framework, their ORM: https://www.nuget.org/packages/EntityFramework/

But you know, there are real xplat tools with all those things already in their palette. Not saying Xojo should start doing this tomorrow, but at some point, some day, they need, as the source code is out there waiting just to be used, as they did with SQLite and CEF3. But the PDF request, for example, is already 10 years old, and free C libs were available since at least 3 years before the request. That’s not a question of fairness, but distinction, comparative advantage.