Big Sur prise? Bug Surprise?

I just tried to make my favorite project from xojo on my just updated Big Sur update to my MacBook Pro.

Well to say the least … It didn’t go well. No Big Sur prise.

Linking Executable
ld: file not found: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/UIFoundation.framework/Versions/A/UIFoundation for architecture x86_64

Me:
Version 2019 Rel 1.1

Big Sur requires 2019r3

4 Likes

Oh my code in hostage…

2 Likes

Since I don’t like to be in hostage for just one line of code I delay upgrading to Big Sur and so I carry on with Xojo Version 2019 Rel 1.1.
Sorry for my old customers who upgraded to Big Sur; on the other end, sells on MAS have so much dropped that I do not care so much for new customers.
I mean, one has to survive: no income, no upgrade.

2 Likes

Built apps should be fine on Big Sur if they worked on Catalina (we actually build with 2017r3).

2 Likes

Only to run the IDE on Big Sur. Applications compiled with 2019r1.1 work OK on Big Sur.

I have installed Big Sur on my work machine, but I upgraded VMXWare Fusion to 12.1, so I can run older versions of macOS for some of my apps that don’t work anymore with BS.

2 Likes

Downloaded and installed Xojo 2019r1.1
My license expired July 20th 2019… So I don’t think i can update.

I am still getting this error on my Bug Surprise machine.

Linking Executable
ld: file not found: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/UIFoundation.framework/Versions/A/UIFoundation for architecture x86_64

If I remember correctly, you’ll need 2019R3.2 or newer for Big Sur compilation. Any version lower than that will result in the same issue due to changes needed for this OS release.

2 Likes

My IDE runs fine in 2019 1.1…
Not sure what you mean?

The IDE will function normally as it was compiled previous to this change. Compiling from 2019R1.1 on Big Sur, however, results in this error due to changes in the OS in Big Sur. Specifically, the compiler is unable to locate the specified file during the linking step of the build process.

1 Like

Dear Xojo. Please grant me version 2019 R3.2 so I don’t loose all my code i’ve written.

You should reach out to Xojo directly by emailing hello@xojo.com. This is primarily a user community.

If sales of MACS are falling off, i doubt that imposing licensing fees is going to help build a user base. Maybe focus on why you’re loosing money instead of how you can make more.

I’m confused.
2019 R3.2 was release July 14th, 2019
My License Expire(s/d) July 20th 2019
But if I try to run 3.2 I am told my license is not valid for this version.

I can’t put my finger on it!

In R3.2 a frame work that wasn’t needed for R1.1 and was needed for 3.2 is causing application in a later version of the operating system to fail to build?

Does this have anything to do with opengl surface?

The application I wrote RUNS in 3.2 but won’t build in 3.1… this smell odd.

It might help to put the dates side by side.

Released:
July 14th, 2020

Your updates period expired:
July 20th, 2019

Which will work for up to 2019r1.1

2 Likes

why would i think that 2019 was release in 2020… That’s just sillyness! :slight_smile:
So if I build my application on my an older version of MAC OS X, will that application then work on Big Sur?

Well, it won’t face this issue. I can’t assert you won’t run into any issue. :slight_smile:

The error message you’re seeing is specific to Xojo building on Big Sur, it’s not a “every Xojo app has this problem on Big Sur” kind of thing.

Edit: (Which is what @Paul_Rodman was trying to say)

So this missing link file

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/UIFoundation.framework/Versions/A/UIFoundation for architecture x86_64

Is installed in R1.1 but not again until in R3.2?
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 29 25 Oct 2019 UIFoundation -> Versions/Current/UIFoundation

So something you installed previously you stopped installing but now you need it because this operating system needs it? but I can’t have it because it was taken away but i can have it back if i buy a license???

So something you installed previously you stopped installing but now you need it because this operating system needs it? but I can’t have it because it was taken away but i can have it back if i buy a license???

If I’m understanding you, no, this is not something that Xojo took out and put back in. This is a baked-in Apple framework, on which the Xojo IDE (actually, I think the compiler) depended, which was changed or moved in Big Sur. 2019r3.2 dealt with this change. I’m sure there are folks here who can give more detail but, in a nutshell, Apple broke it, not Xojo. :slight_smile:

2 Likes