Big Sur Beta 2 GUI cheat sheet

I whipped up a quick app, so I could create a cheat sheet of how controls look between Catalina (and prior) to Big Sur.

I used my own App Kit for this, which is part of the http://omegabundle.net at the moment. I’ll roll this window into the next update of the App Kit, so customers can experiment on their own.

1 Like

Notice how the tick marks on BS appear in the wrong location in Light mode!

I also want to add that the “Destructive” button has the property set and returns the value I set, but it doesn’t seem to make any difference yet in B2.

I am happy however that Apple finally fixed the indetermined progress bar, a bug I filed back in the Yosemite betas.

Great, thank you!
Sometimes, it’s not worth loading a whole OS just to check for visual differences; these screenshots are nice for that!

How do I update to B2 ? I somehow missed B2 arriving.

I updated to beta 2 using System Preferences -> Software update.

grrr it does not come for me says no updates. Though I have found some articles now of others having same problem.

Sorry man… Mind you, you’re not missing out on much, it’s still soo rough that it’s hard to consider making many GUI changes at this point.

Have you use the small installer from Apple Developers website ?

I had to do this as well. System Preferences wouldn’t mention the update. I had to re-download the tiny installer app from the developper account, under the “Downloads” page and it worked.

Note that b2 is out only for Intel Macs, not for A Silicon.

I recall reading that if you install BS in a partition or volume on your main (Catalina?) disk, the update mechanism doesn’t work. I installed on a blank external SSD and it works fine.

Yea I only got Intel, Apple thinks Iceland is not a place on the map, they refused to send Dev kit here. (Same as in 2005 when the Intel Mac’s came)

You got that slightly wrong: The issue there is that if you install BS into a container (aka partition) that already has a previous macOS, then the previous macOS can’t be updated any more (that’s probably because BS adds new volume types, and previous macOS versions get confused by them).

Wow, that sucks.

I experienced this as well. For me, reinstalling my profile did the trick.

Did the color change from Blue to Green in the screenshots because of your (System Preferences -> General -> Accent Color) Selection?

I personally use green as my Accent Color as well and just wanted to confirm that this was a choice and not the default Big Sur behavior

Yes, I haven’t set it to green on Big Sur, so it’s at the default blue. Good catch, I’ll do that later after I’ve finished doing what I am currently doing.

Just released version 1.0.3 of the Ohanaware App Kit, where I’ve included the latest version of the GUI Cheat Sheet, so you can see what code I use to get what style.

https://ohanaware.com/appkit/

Updated GUI Cheat Sheet

Any idea when your AppKit will be available for the masses? I mean, to make this one a Omegabundle only, you’re missing out on a lot of potential customers. Most of them don’t benefit from the Omega Bundle, they already have most tools offered by the bundle.

Don’t let an overpriced bundle hold you hostage! :wink:

[quote=497332:@Christoph De Vocht]Any idea when your AppKit will be available for the masses? I mean, to make this one a Omegabundle only, you’re missing out on a lot of potential customers. Most of them don’t benefit from the Omega Bundle, they already have most tools offered by the bundle.

Don’t let an overpriced bundle hold you hostage! ;-)[/quote]
I definitely lost interest when I discovered that fact.