BEX Problem?

One of my beta testers recently tried running my app (Lightwright 6) on Win7, and Windows said this:

“Lightwright 6 Has Stopped Working”

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BEX
Application Name: LW6.exe
Application Version: 6.0.0.72
Application Timestamp: 56711ed5
Fault Module Name: StackHash_0a9e
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Offset: ffff0000
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Data: 00000008
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Does anybody have any idea what this means?

The application and the installer are code signed using kSign’s tool, if that makes a difference. Other users running it on Win10 haven’t reported any problems…

DuckDuckGo is your friend : you are not alone.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Problem+signature%3A+Problem+Event+Name%3A+BEX+Application+Name%3A

Oh my, it all seemed so simple. The older version of this app (built with RS2011) runs fine on all versions of Windows, it’s odd that it’s suddenly running into this. The new version is built with 2015r4, and is 32 bit.

This looks like a DEP (data execution prevention) crash, which usually means that you’re accessing an invalid memory location, or trying to execute memory pages that are not marked as executable.

If this is the case, your prime suspects are parameters passed to declares and callback functions, or other pointers to memory not allocated by Xojo’s framework.

[quote=241416:@Andrew Lambert]This looks like a DEP (data execution prevention) crash, which usually means that you’re accessing an invalid memory location, or trying to execute memory pages that are not marked as executable.

If this is the case, your prime suspects are parameters passed to declares and callback functions, or other pointers to memory not allocated by Xojo’s framework.[/quote]

I wonder why this would only affect Win7 and not Win8 or Win10? My user reports that none of the DEP solutions we’ve found online have solved the problem.

I’ll continue researching…

John, do you use any declare at all, or is it GMO free pure Xojo code ?

Otherwise, one could suppose that a Windows 7 machine is slower which may create synch issues…

The customer ran into the same problem on a very small app that doesn’t use any declares at all, it’s pure Xojo code.

However, when I tried it on my up-to-date Win7 laptop in my office, it ran fine. I can only guess the user’s computers (he tried several) don’t have the latest updates. Or at least I’m hoping that’s the problem!