Best way to do a line graph

Hello Everyone,

I’m writing an app that needs to present the user with several simple line graphs. I’m wanting the app to be cross-platform so I’m wondering what the best way to do the graphing is? Right now, I’m leaning towards just using canvas but is that what I really need? is that the best solution? All I need to do is display numbers and ‘ticks’ up the left hand side and a simple coloured line on the graph itself.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Hi Anthony,

Roger Meier’s ‘DataPlot Classes’ are absolutely fantastic for the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) graphs. You could create the line graph on a canvas, but all the heavy work has been done for the program.

His projects can be viewed on his website Roger Meier’s Open-Source Projects

This was written in RealBasic and works well on Windows OS with Xojo. I haven’t tried this on other OS’s though.

Thank you Eugene! I’m going there now

some paid offerings:

Jeremie Leroy’s Chart view
Monkeybread’s Chart Director (great, but may be overkill if all you need is simple line graphs)
and I think Chart Part has been re-released recently by another company that took it over.

On the long run, I would suggest you try our ChartDirector. A line chart may sound simple, but maybe you later have needs for gradients, textures, tracking cursor or you want to add a bar or gantt layer, you better try a more complete plugin.

@Christian Schmitz, are you still behind Monkey Bread Software? If so, wouldn’t it be fairer to disclaim that when you’re proposing your own software package, as good as it might be?

Just my two cents worth

1 Like

Everyone knows that already. :slight_smile:

Well, I for one didn’t know that and only when I watched one of your Monkey Bread Software videos and it ended with Christian Schmitz Software I counted 1+1 together :wink:

1 Like

+1 for MBS’s ChartDirector since it is very professional and has many options/styles to choose from.

Christian is Spot On with his claims and yes I am a paid customer.

HTH,
Mike

I own the MBS and Chart Director plugins as well. I was convinced to buy them a few years back when I found a bug in a deprecated routine that had been replaced by a newer routine (I needed the deprecated routine for a very specific need). He fixed the bug before I even purchased. Top-notch vendor, you could not find a better place to spend your money on a Xojo-related product.

Thanks.

Is ChartDirector retina compatible?

Of course. Just render in 2x as a few examples do.

[quote=120733:@Andreas West]@Christian Schmitz, are you still behind Monkey Bread Software? If so, wouldn’t it be fairer to disclaim that when you’re proposing your own software package, as good as it might be?

Just my two cents worth[/quote]
He did say “our ChartDirector.”

It may be that you only need a component like this?
http://www.pesarosystem.it/xojo-gantt-english.asp

I got in touch with Jeremie, who told me, that he doesn’t support ChartView as paid software anymore because Xojo has changed many things in how custom controls are created.

But he recently made it available as GPL Open Source on Github:

Thanks to Jeremie, great work!

2 Likes

Hallo dont know If its the best way and not really Xojo : https://graphviz.org/

Tools like PlantUML and many more are using ist.

BR Rainer