Avoiding the notch

The notch is a curious beast. On the iPhone, I think we assumed it’d be gone by now. Then they bring it to the Mac and much wider than it needs to be. It seems like Apple is embracing it as a branding decision.

1 Like

Kind of logical, yes. Accepting to be wrong is rarely easy…

Again a decision to bring Macs and iOS devices closer. These decisions were already often weird or unwanted in the past. Nothing’s odd in seeing that continuing… :roll_eyes:

I’ve read about it too. A silly marketing move. But people also hated the Touch Bar introduction, hated MagSafe going away, and both decisions were reviewed later, as this silly thing will… not sure when.

2 Likes

I tested Numbers in a new MacBook 14 with the notch and Monterey 12.0.1 moved the last few menu items to the right of the notch. Nothing behind the notch or clipped menus to the left. Not sure if the space was different on the left menu to make it show correctly.

I can test Monday morning a Xojo app with many menu items to see the behavior and report back.

1 Like

You may need to wait for 2021r3 (NO, I HAVE NO INFORMATION ABOUT IT) if there is some trouble with the current version.

It makes perfect sense to me, even if I don’t like it. By uniting the Mac with iPad, iPhone, Watch in terms of hardware and software, it reduces costs. Cheaper to produce hardware the more the components are shared. Cheaper to produce software once the underlying system is one OS (like it was when the iPhone first launched), just with different skins.

It is a long road to do it, but that’s why Catalyst isn’t going away and ultimately it and UIKit will replace AopKit.

Tested an app with many menu items build with Xojo 2019r1.1

this is how it looks in a MacBook Pro 14 with notch:

Untitled1 - Untitled8 to the left of the notch, Untitled9 - Untitled16 at the right.

We need to consider the number of menu items but the OS (Monterey 12.0.1) handle the position (left/right).

2 Likes

And it truncates the text.
Interesting.

To be honest, for most menus that would still end up being quite usable, especially if you get a tooltip like bubble should you hover over a menu. It does suggest that the top level menu names should perhaps take this possible truncation into effect. And of course that potential truncation will be more noticeable on a 14" than 16" MBP. A presumably more so on a future 13" MBA with notch. Or if you increase screen scaling or font sizes, etc.

I’m also very curious to see what happens when an external monitor (which does not have a notch) is used to “mirror” the MBP display…

1 Like

Mirror? “Should” cause a gap or won’t be a mirrored image.

This video demos the compatibility mode and other things related to the new NotchBook Pro.

2 Likes

Good find , Sam.
We could have done with something like that from Apple.
Much less concerned now.

1 Like

Yeah, just think how long it woulda taken them to throw together something so we can all see what’s going to happen and what options we as developers have. Tsck…

You just need to read this here macOS 12 Monterey and User Interface Inconsistencies – Corbin's Treehouse to realise that they haven’t cared for anything in the last years. For shits and giggles I had a look at the interface of System Preferences in High Sierra. The issues are there, too. The button in Notifications of Monterey is just hilarious. You can’t tell me that nobody noticed that before.

1 Like

I have read Corbin’s article. We’ve all kinda just gotten used to Apple not following their own HIG or being consistent anymore. My main take away from that article was how do I make Xojo’s listbox have rounded corners :slight_smile: Which I’ve kinda done, but the solution needs a little more work as it doesn’t automatically update when the theme changes (yet).

1 Like

Brilliant, lets hope you don’t have to make a nice screenshot for your app’s website, mind the gap.

Rounded corners?
See-through windows?

To me this is all fluff.
A rounded corner loses screen estate.
And it all slows things down, because everything has to go through this prettyfication process.
Over the course of the last 10 years, UI has become this: :slight_smile:

Yes, this is all fluff. Like the ugly icons from BS that all look the same. But the users have been trained to expect such fluff.

From my end it shows as “Video unavailable”. But this one works:

1 Like