Avoiding the notch

Well, seems that the way to go is having in mind to use the lesser number of menu items as possible to avoid reaching the middle of the screen and we are all set.

Grrr.

1 Like

I’ll then wait for the funners at Apple to update XCode with less menus. :rofl:

1 Like

Meaning the middle of the smallest screen running macOS Monterey. And perhaps is impacted by screen scaling or font choices. Seems like a really poor limit to foist on people with larger screens.

1 Like

Watch what this guy says. Is it true?

Did you not see the earlier post from @AlbertoD higher in this thread? I don’t have my new MBP yet, but allegedly Monterey 12.0.1 fixes this but some units were shipped without that update.

I wonder how hard it would be for a company like Parallels or VMWare to offer a display “notch” option when the guest OS is macOS Monterey?

1 Like

With attention? Just right now. I usually don’t pay much attention to non-English articles, my fault, as I am able to read Spanish too.

All it needs is all the virtual devices necessary as usual, and the display driver painting black such area all the time.

No.
As of the new Monterey, OSX will apparently decide when your menu reaches the notch, and will move some of the items to the other side.

So depending on the screen resolution, you may get

File | Edit | Something | Something Else | XXXXXXXXX | Windows | Help

or

File | Edit | Something | Something Else | Windows | XXXXXXXXX | Help

Which is why notch simulators which paint a simple black blob do not work as emulators… they do not make the menu items move around the notch.

The main issue now seems to be the status bar icons on the right hand side (I personally dont like these anyway…) because no similar thing happens to them.

If the underlying virtual hardware translates the expected resolution being faked to the OS to the real proportional ones, the “virtual notch area” will be in the proper place all the time.

I’m not sure. I suspect my wording was incorrect. You don’t need it to believe to be running on one of these two computers, you need the system to believe it is connected to a display with a notch. In theory, that would be simpler. I think this would be easier once Apple releases an external display with a notch. It’s coming.

Does anyone here have a MacBook with Notch to test?

UPS says mine arrives Wednesday. I know some other members picked one up.

So, the discussion is about nickel… void.

Be back when appropriate hardware will be here and upgraded the OS to last Monterey :star_struck::japanese_ogre:

The Notch probably will die as fast as the TouchBar. So it’s not a discussion about nickels if you decide to skip it, but want to support it.

1 Like

Hopefully. But the touchbar didn’t die fast enough anyway, so….

1 Like

Yep. I hope the notch goes away in less than 3 instead of 5.

1 Like

Even tomorrow would be too long for disappearance, for a nonsense to not exist in the first place :wink:.

Once introduced, hardware changes takes some time to be retired, huge amounts of units are commited and they need to spawn these stranded units, unless someone involved gets fired ASAP, and a huge loss absorbed, and I doubt it will soon.