Autorun Win 10 of my App

Hi all,
I’m developing a small UDP Server to monitor my computers.
I wanna put this into autostart of win10 but my app won’t start on windows start.
(I’ve got a default user which is auto logged on when the machine is starting)
My app is not signed.
Is it maybe because of the popup window from windows who asks me if I wanna enable this software everytime?
How can I manage this to work?

Thank you very much, Markus.

A few things to check:

The Windows security prompt should only happen the first time the program is run. Can you run the program manually?

Does the program start then stop with an error?

Do you have a shortcut to the program in the Startup folder?
C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Is the user a member of the Administrators group? This may be needed depending on which network port you’re opening.

A better way to do this may be as a Windows Service.

i just put shell:startup in explorer
it opens C:\Users\Markus\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
link my exe into this folder
reboot and after login a few seconds this app start at win 10 without popup.

Hi Eric, thx for your quick response.
I’m on Port 44001 so that should be fine.
Yes I can start the program manually, it also works via the windows task scheduler.
I didn’t build in a debug routine where I can see if it stars and then stops yet.
But yes the user is Admin.
I can’t build a service I think because its window application.

Thats the way I tryed, too.

have you a screenshot from this “popup window from windows”?

That was the standard Windows Defender popup

Hey guys, thanks for your help.
After some troubleshooting I managed it to work.
My mistake was that I configured my *.exe file as “run always as administrator”, that leaded that the autostart would not work.
But just for your information, if you put this into the windows task scheduler than it will also work.
Now I removed the “run always as admin” and now it’s working on shell:startup as I wanted it to be.
So thank you very much for your help!

1 Like

A desktop application cannot be a service. But a console application can. If you don’t need the user interface then a console application is a good choice.