Auto print a file

Not so much of a Xojo question, although I am writing some code that would make of use of this…

On OSX, is there a folder where one can drop a PDF and it automatically be printed? Say dropping directly into the print queue of a printer that is set up on the system?

You probably want to look at Automator.

I was looking for something more “built-in”.

Automator is built in.

Automator is not what I am looking for.

You want to watch a folder, and if a pdf is dropped in there then print that pdf.

That is EXACTLY what Automator is build into MacOS X for.

But suit yourself …

Think outside the box much?

As a Scientist all the time, actually. But what is the point of reinventing the wheel?

That is not a discussion that I need to have with you. I simply asked for a solution, then you seem to be unhappy because yours isn’t the mode I’m looking for.

I choose to re-invent the wheel all the time and it is exactly why my business is successful.

Perhaps if you expanded a little on what you’re looking for that Automator doesn’t provide, it would be easier for people to suggest a better solution. Rather than a flat, No, that doesn’t work.

1 Like

I never said it doesn’t work, or wouldn’t work, just that it does not provide the solution I am looking for.

Specifically that I don’t want to have another piece of code (an Automator script) to accomplish it. I know I could do it with Xojo, but again, separate piece of code.

I have already found the solution, it did not require any additional code. The file is simply placed in a specific location that OSX already watches, which is exactly what I was looking for.

What location is that? So the rest of us can benefit from your experience.

1 Like

Probably one set up with an Automator script … :wink:

I could make use of that too. Can you share this location?

Would you be willing to share your solution with us? Sounds interesting!

Forum for Xojo Programming Language and IDE. Copyright © 2021 Xojo, Inc.