Auto lock old topics

Because this decision and implementation was rushed :man_shrugging:

You have to read the whole thread. The poster @Thomas_Tempelmann who “re-opened” it, who surely is a long time and experienced Xojo user felt in the trap not realizing that this was a very old thread. He only saw “Oct 17” and thought it referring to “Oct 2020” but not October a few years ago. Happened already to me as well :-(.

I think you’re missing the point, it had a reply 3 days ago, yet the system that auto-closes threads for having no activity in the past 6 months decided to close it. I assume it was an error by the person who manually closed all old threads.

I don’t think that’s what happened. What I think happened is:

• they changed the rules for the forum so all new topics will auto-close after 6 months of no activity
  • they changed the forum rule to close old topics older than X years, so even if the topic had a post 3 days ago, 1 month ago or 5.9 months ago, the topic was closed

Edit: I think 6 months is a short time for a topic to be closed. More so if the topic is related to API 2.0 and the code/information will be valid for years to come.

1 Like

I didn’t think it was that big of an issue, maybe 1-2 posts a week.

<-sarcasm->But I really enjoyed going through all my “new updates” last night that weren’t actually new updates they were just messages of the threads being locked. <-/sarcasm-> So I’ve probably spent/wasted more time doing that than I’ve ever spent/wasted dealing with necro’d threads. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I am with Thomas: if this software would show the full date, all will be fine, but it doesn’t (as further discussed in the mentioned thread).

2 Likes

What I have seen in other forums, is when that happens one of the mods comment on that topic and close it or split it as needed leaving a comment that the topic was closed because the information is not longer valid/correct/relevant. No need to auto-lock everything.

I think we all agree on this, that will be perfect the perfect world. I’m just nor sure if our moderators have the time for that (as I already mentioned). But no doubt that this will be the perfect solution to avoid double content and improving the search experience.

Ohhh (no sarcasm), I didn’t had any - but perhaps only because I was not very active for years and those I had replied to were probably already closed. I understand that this is very annoying.

I have reopened this one, as there was (somewhat) ongoing discussion.

2 Likes

do you mean when the topic is open x years ago and not based on the last post x years ago??

Going forward topics will be closed 6 months after the last reply. But if you encounter something that needs to be reopened please let us know and we can reopen it.

This idea has come up several times over the last few months and is something we had talked about implementing. If 6 months doesn’t end up being the right amount of time we can always re-evaluate.

2 Likes

On new topics you can now see the following notification (putting the words from Dana into a picture):

And how are new users / infrequent visitors meant to know this?

:man_facepalming:

Just a heads up, you now have a load of topics that should have been closed but are forever stuck open never to be closed because they have missed the initial 1.5 year pass and aren’t marked for an automatic 6 month close.

:+1:

This is something we’re trying out because we’ve discussed it many times and noticed that it’s common enough to attempt to alleviate, and also requested enough to be on the radar for something users want. If it doesn’t work out, that’s fine. If we need to make changes, also fine. If it does work and solves the initial problem, all the better. I fail to see how trying out this settings change will be the end of all things, and hope we can at least give it a bit of a trial before deciding that the forums are just going to go up in flames because people will need to open their own threads.

1 Like
  1. It would be nice if the timestamp on a post were not in pale grey, but in black. Then it would be more visible.

2. If a post was made long enough ago that it’s stamped with a date rather than a time, let this date be complete rather than partial. Nicest would be if the date format followed the user’s pref as in their Time/Date System Pref.

1 Like

why topic open over 1.5 years???

+1, we need an “olympic spirit” on this. Evaluating the possibilities with the target to improve things. If this is showing not to work out (for whatever technical reason ) , I assume we can always revert back. The “very” old posting (from the old forum) have already the challenge that the formatting of code is gone with the wind. No issue for the experienced Xojo developer but very likely a nightmare for beginners …

1 Like

Its pointless discussing it at it seems everyone’s mind is already made up or they simply don’t understand what results will come from these actions.

Great job stopping people easily updating out of date code and putting a barrier in their way when that is more needed than ever due to all the recent changes. Great job increasing the fragmentation and dilution of the already thin bits of information on the forum.

All hope abandon ye who enter here

:man_facepalming:

1 Like

You’re not as misunderstood as you think you are. We’re trying it, if it doesn’t work we can go back. Discussion around this sort of thing is great, but it doesn’t mean that we’re just going to stop trying to improve things because there might be some issues to work out.