Auto lock old topics

Even so I have been in favor, I think only time will tell us if this really works.

But I suppose @Dana_Brown can change it back any time. It’s probably best to give it a try now for several weeks and see if this works well or if we have overlooked something.

1 Like

Are you going to put this information on all those lock messages as people will not know about this unless they happened to have read this exact post.

100% agree, goodbye useful new search on the new forum, looks like we’re going back to old useless search. Bravo.

I doubt they’d be able to fix the thread fragmentation at a later date as I doubt people will either know how or be kind enough to put in the relevant links back to the original threads.

Moderators literally have the ability to remedy this situation by splitting threads if they see a new post is a thread necro mistake.

All you’ve successfully done here is:

1. waste all users time (both current and future) as people can no longer quickly add to old threads to post updated code without asking a mod to reopen the read then waiting. Chances of that happening for someone in the moment with the code in another window ready to paste, zero.

2. buried all the purposefully locked threads so its now harder to find them for future reference.

3. used a hammer to crack a nut

2 Likes

That’s one view. My view, from the time I was still a beginner:

1. Lost a lot of time, as a beginner, dealing with outdated code, mainly because I did not recognize that it was outdated. I agree, that this helped (as I am stubborn) on my learning curve ;-).
  2. When replying to an old thread, you rarely got a reply, or someone telling you that it’s outdated …
  3. Nowadays I find it time-consuming reading or replying that this topic is outdated and not working any longer.

But I agree that it might turn out to be not ideal and that the moderators could help a lot, but this would be a full-time job. To my knowledge, they are not (all) full-time employees ;-). I don’t think anything is bad about trying it out for 2-3 weeks …

This still exists.

This still exists but now you have two threads about it.

This still exits as you have a new thread to read.

Let me put it another way…

Person A reads old locked thread (T1), makes a new thread (T2) asking a question about something in the locked thread.

You now have two threads to search (T1, T2).

Person B performs a similar search some time later and see’s the old thread (T1), makes another new thread (T3) about it because they didn’t know T2 existed and resolved T1’s issues.

Now, you have three threads (T1,T2,T3) all relating to the same information and T1 STILL hasn’t been corrected so you could end up with Tn. Crazy

This is not a good way to fix this issue.

5 Likes

Yes, I agree with you - all fair points. My hope would be that we can easily identify old and closed threads. It is good that we have this exchange here. My only aim is to improve the experience.

1. That’s the reason I am as well in favor to have the thumbs up/down feature back.
  2. Moderators could help in marking a solution in case the PO doesn’t do it.
  3. I still believe splitting Web 1.0 and Web 2.0 in different categories will help. Of course there are overlaps and some solutions for Web 1.0 are still working fine in Web 2.0, but on the other hand they are both 2 completely different approaches …

@JulianS
this one is a good example Printing to specific printer impossible? that we are both right and wrong …

How big is the problem?

1 old topic get a new response a month per 10 topics? per 100? per 500? more?

What I have seen is that most people create new topics or post to newer topics.

The problem I see is that several old topics with responses in the last 2-6 months were closed. New topics have the warning that they are going to be auto-closed after 6 months without responses. If the new policy is to lock old topics after 6 months without responses then it makes sense to close only old topics without a response in the last 6 months and not lock topics with posts within 6 months. Some of them could be still relevant and will make people interested in them to ask a mod to re-open (I don’t think most people will do this), mention that the topic was closed for no reason creating a new topic or just move on without posting.

This is a big chance on how the forum will work from now on and for that reason, we will see people in favor or against the change. Is this better? I don’t know, but I do think that the “problem” was very small to have this big change. In the end, it may have a bigger impact (bigger problem) than just handle the X number of cases where old posts were revived and that could be handled by a mod in no time.

why is this closed when the last message is 3 days ago?

Because this decision and implementation was rushed :man_shrugging:

You have to read the whole thread. The poster @Thomas_Tempelmann who “re-opened” it, who surely is a long time and experienced Xojo user felt in the trap not realizing that this was a very old thread. He only saw “Oct 17” and thought it referring to “Oct 2020” but not October a few years ago. Happened already to me as well :-(.

I think you’re missing the point, it had a reply 3 days ago, yet the system that auto-closes threads for having no activity in the past 6 months decided to close it. I assume it was an error by the person who manually closed all old threads.

I don’t think that’s what happened. What I think happened is:

• they changed the rules for the forum so all new topics will auto-close after 6 months of no activity
  • they changed the forum rule to close old topics older than X years, so even if the topic had a post 3 days ago, 1 month ago or 5.9 months ago, the topic was closed

Edit: I think 6 months is a short time for a topic to be closed. More so if the topic is related to API 2.0 and the code/information will be valid for years to come.

1 Like

I didn’t think it was that big of an issue, maybe 1-2 posts a week.

<-sarcasm->But I really enjoyed going through all my “new updates” last night that weren’t actually new updates they were just messages of the threads being locked. <-/sarcasm-> So I’ve probably spent/wasted more time doing that than I’ve ever spent/wasted dealing with necro’d threads. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I am with Thomas: if this software would show the full date, all will be fine, but it doesn’t (as further discussed in the mentioned thread).

2 Likes

What I have seen in other forums, is when that happens one of the mods comment on that topic and close it or split it as needed leaving a comment that the topic was closed because the information is not longer valid/correct/relevant. No need to auto-lock everything.

I think we all agree on this, that will be perfect the perfect world. I’m just nor sure if our moderators have the time for that (as I already mentioned). But no doubt that this will be the perfect solution to avoid double content and improving the search experience.

Ohhh (no sarcasm), I didn’t had any - but perhaps only because I was not very active for years and those I had replied to were probably already closed. I understand that this is very annoying.

I have reopened this one, as there was (somewhat) ongoing discussion.

2 Likes

do you mean when the topic is open x years ago and not based on the last post x years ago??

Going forward topics will be closed 6 months after the last reply. But if you encounter something that needs to be reopened please let us know and we can reopen it.

This idea has come up several times over the last few months and is something we had talked about implementing. If 6 months doesn’t end up being the right amount of time we can always re-evaluate.

2 Likes