Associate folders to application ?

[quote=105191:@Norman Palardy]I think to get the “single file” experience on windows you

1. use a database with the right extension
  2. use a zip file or something similar[/quote]
    I actually just used option 2 the other day. That’s why I dug up the TTZipPackage thread.
    It’s a decent solution I must say.

[quote=105251:@Tim Parnell]I actually just used option 2 the other day. That’s why I dug up the TTZipPackage thread.
It’s a decent solution I must say.[/quote]
its what you do when you don’t have bundles :stuck_out_tongue:

Of course. Because nothing is ever possible on windows :s

I think if you read back no one said anything like that.
What they DID say was there is no equivalent for bundles natively in Windows.
That’s neither incorrect nor disparaging - just the truth.
MS uses zip files for Word’s docx, Excels xslx and such files - to be able to have an “archive” of many items as one “file” for the end user. It makes their life simpler.
Apple has a different way to do this.
They’re just different.

Think different.

Frog blast the vent core.

I just needed a good insult. No limits to Mac maniacs hostility :confused:

The only hostility here is what you created. We’re trying to be helpful and you keep playing the victim card for no reason. Even here, I drop a nonsense line from an old video game, as a response to your nonsense line, and you assume it is some clever insult. You are so hell-bent on being a victim of some made-up anti-Windows bias, that you aren’t even listening to reason anymore.

I am extremely offended, hurt and humiliated. I find that low and extremely disturbing. Any civilized individual would show restraint instead of justifying the aggression as you do. Bullying is so easy, is it not ?

Racial slurs and insulting xenophobic innuendoes are unacceptable in any discussion., no matter the eventual controversies This is far out of bounds. Personal attacks like this are a shame in this forum.

Please stop.

Hi folks.

First of all: keep your cool attitude. We are here to help each others. Today its me, tomorrow it will be someone else.

Secondly:

Here are 3 images to help understand the paradigm:

1. One folder full of data (only the pdf icon is misplaced [a book I wrote long time ago];
    Actually, I drop a folder on my ListBox to get the data (folder names on the ListBox; the user select one entry and get the data displayed)

2. One “Master Folder” icon (data for the xDev Magazine)
    I take as an example the “xDev Magazine” folder I created some times ago. Here’s the icon of that “Book”:

3. The contents of the “xDev Magazine” folder
    We can see some entries (in folder format with custom icons).

The idea was to “hide” the folder icon (2) so the average user just do not saw its contents (3). A double click in the icon (a new one have to be done) (see image 2), (run the application and) load the data / displays the data.

Nota: I displayed OS X (Mavericks) screen shots instead of Windows just because it is faster for me to do so. Windows icons exists and are used in the Windows version of the application. I do not care about the running OS. I do not have a Linux version just because I had troubles running Linux on VirtualBox.

Using a “container” to “hide” the data was an idea to simplify the user’s life (avoid to confuse her / him). It does not have to fall into hard times to create “Books” (I call “Books” the folders you can see in image 1).

I hope the things are clearer now.

BTW: I took the xDev Magazine as example because I think it talks to each of us. The data inside that “Book” is simply Table of Contents (ToC) of each issues of the magazine. And, the application have a search string feature that allows to seach — say — articles that talks about… ToolBar and return the list of issues that have the “ToolBar” string in its ToC. Some may think that I duplicate the xDev web site which is a bit true and a bit false. The people that have all the issues can add more data and will get more answers on the quests.

As you can see, I have “Books” on various subjects: music (albums), video (StarGate, JAG), books (Xxx for Dummies), Comics (Hulk and many more *), weekly computer magazine (Micro Hebdo), etc. I even created one “Book” as the application help (“The Completist") !
The folder called “The Completist Reader” holds the (French) Windows version.

• I have a book that displays data about “Indrajal Comics” with all its 803 entries (comic book from India, english edition). I widely used that applicaton to create that “Book”. And that helped me a lot to squash bugs and add features !

I never used VirtualVolume, but it seems to be an idea (until it eventually will be removed from Xojo):

multiplatform
support text
support folder(s)
support binaries (no images, but I think binary can be used to store / restore images ?)

is it a good idea ?

[quote=105683:@Emile Schwarz]1. One folder full of data (only the pdf icon is misplaced [a book I wrote long time ago];
Actually, I drop a folder on my ListBox to get the data (folder names on the ListBox; the user select one entry and get the data displayed)[/quote]

Sorry, but it is a bit unclear. When you say ‘I drop a folder on my listbox’ this means the folder is, say, on your desktop and you drop it onto your app listbox to create a list, then the user selects the item and it opens the folder ? Or is your application showing a list of books already displayed, that the user can select ?

[quote]2. One “Master Folder” icon (data for the xDev Magazine)
I take as an example the “xDev Magazine” folder I created some times ago. Here’s the icon of that “Book”:

The idea was to “hide” the folder icon (2) so the average user just do not saw its contents (3). A double click in the icon (a new one have to be done) (see image 2), (run the application and) load the data / displays the data.[/quote]

So far I think I understand you are using folders as … folders that contain documents. The desk metaphor. Are you displaying the folders without icons in your app window or trying to hide the content icon displayed by the system ? If you display the books in your app, you can choose any icon, including the plain empty folder, and open the corresponding FolderItem in the doubleClick event.

Under Windows folders do not display the content so you do not have hide it.

What is hard to understand from your description is not the use of folders to hold documents, which is a normal use, it is what you want to achieve. If you are creating an app that displays folder icons which the user will click, so it opens the corresponding folder, it seems possible in Windows as well as Mac. Have you created a mockup (une maquette) of how you app will look ? It would probably help.

[quote=104560:@Emile Schwarz]I need to associate a bunch of folders (one at a time) to an application, so when I click in that “folder”, my application is run and open that said “folder”.
[/quote]

From that initial contribution, and your mention of bundles later, it seemed what you wanted was to associate folders to your application so when they are opened, the program takes care of that. It is simply not possible in Windows. Only files can be associated to programs. If the extension is part of the some 3500 extensions listed in Windows. I have no idea if a new extension can be added or how.

If, however, you present a list of folders in your application that the user can click or double click to open them, it works just as simply as the Windows start menu.

Hope this helps.

I was not aware of that feature. Very interesting. Thank you for mentioning it. Forgive me for having not experimented with that before posting, as I have done many a time in this forum, to learn while trying to help. I am burned out by the recent events in this thread, and it will take a while to recover.

From reading the LR, it looks indeed as if you could encapsulate the content of your folders into virtual folder files, containing the same documents as what your book folders do. This could be a terrific solution to both protect the content of the books, and make associate them to your application. Which will be possible under Windows as well, since they will be files.

Why should VirtualVolumes be removed ? They are not deprecated …

Try to be zen, do not let sentences hurt you in any way. Try to keep yourself cool.

Anything can happens.

If I take into account the free database withing Xojo, I count 3 (4 ?) different ones.

Deprecation can happens just like rain in the summer ;-:slight_smile:

That said, VirtualBox seems to be nice and deserve a try !

Thank you, even if I never though brutal racial bashing could be part of this forum without a hint of reaction from anybody. On the contrary, there where even Likes, like a pack :frowning:

Indeed.

[quote=105681:@Michel Bujardet]I am extremely offended, hurt and humiliated. I find that low and extremely disturbing. Any civilized individual would show restraint instead of justifying the aggression as you do. Bullying is so easy, is it not ?

Racial slurs and insulting xenophobic innuendoes are unacceptable in any discussion., no matter the eventual controversies This is far out of bounds. Personal attacks like this are a shame in this forum.

Please stop.[/quote]
WHAT RACIAL SLUR?!

This is so asinine it isn’t even funny anymore.

[quote=105724:@Thom McGrath]WHAT RACIAL SLUR?!

This is so asinine it isn’t even funny anymore.[/quote]

Sir, calling someone a frog is just as offensive as other racial slurs. If you had any sense, you would have the decency to stop your attacks. Thank you.

[quote=105683:@Emile Schwarz]Hi folks.

First of all: keep your cool attitude. We are here to help each others. Today its me, tomorrow it will be someone else.

Secondly:

Here are 3 images to help understand the paradigm:

1. One folder full of data (only the pdf icon is misplaced [a book I wrote long time ago];
    Actually, I drop a folder on my ListBox to get the data (folder names on the ListBox; the user select one entry and get the data displayed)

2. One “Master Folder” icon (data for the xDev Magazine)

The idea was to “hide” the folder icon (2) so the average user just do not saw its contents (3). A double click in the icon (a new one have to be done) (see image 2), (run the application and) load the data / displays the data.

Nota: I displayed OS X (Mavericks) screen shots instead of Windows just because it is faster for me to do so. Windows icons exists and are used in the Windows version of the application. I do not care about the running OS. I do not have a Linux version just because I had troubles running Linux on VirtualBox.

Using a “container” to “hide” the data was an idea to simplify the user’s life (avoid to confuse her / him). It does not have to fall into hard times to create “Books” (I call “Books” the folders you can see in image 1).

I hope the things are clearer now.

BTW: I took the xDev Magazine as example because I think it talks to each of us. The data inside that “Book” is simply Table of Contents (ToC) of each issues of the magazine. And, the application have a search string feature that allows to seach — say — articles that talks about… ToolBar and return the list of issues that have the “ToolBar” string in its ToC. Some may think that I duplicate the xDev web site which is a bit true and a bit false. The people that have all the issues can add more data and will get more answers on the quests.

As you can see, I have “Books” on various subjects: music (albums), video (StarGate, JAG), books (Xxx for Dummies), Comics (Hulk and many more *), weekly computer magazine (Micro Hebdo), etc. I even created one “Book” as the application help (“The Completist") !
The folder called “The Completist Reader” holds the (French) Windows version.

• I have a book that displays data about “Indrajal Comics” with all its 803 entries (comic book from India, english edition). I widely used that applicaton to create that “Book”. And that helped me a lot to squash bugs and add features ![/quote]
    Ok, I’m going to admit I’m back to square-one here. After your description of EyeTV and FCP, it seemed pretty clear you were describing a bundle. Now, I have no idea what you’re describing. So I’m going to bow out of this conversation.