ARM64 - it's time!

The OS and the libraries that come with it have to be 64-bit too. The default OS for the Pi is still 32-bit.

Let’s stay on topic. Xojo on Arm 64-bit Linux.

Can we get Xojo working properly on existing linux architectures first please?

3 Likes

I wonder if the Xojo team has tried ARM64 on any SBC/Phone? I would love to write a SMS client in Xojo web for the Pinephone and expose it on the LAN so I could type my.phone.ip/sms and respond on my computer :slight_smile:

Well, Xojo Inc. could decide to be trend setter there.
Duplicate the Linux ARM 32-bit scripts and do the same work for 64-bit.

I think it’s a low hanging fruit, which may be good for marketing, even if there is a limited number of customers using 64-bit ARM Linux now, but that will be growing. Next Raspberry Pi may go 64-bit by default.

They do work with ARM 64-bit for Android and iOS already.

1 Like

This is on-topic.

The OP said nothing about 32-bit or Raspberry PI. Let’s not derail further by arguing what this thread is about. Please have a read of the first post.

2 Likes

The OP mention case 42794 and if you read it it say:

With the release of the Raspberry Pi 3 comes the expectation of an arm64 version of Raspbian. Although it is not yet available, please schedule support for an arm64 target so we can compile for an arm64 version of Raspbian as soon as, or shortly after, it is released.

2 Likes

And for M1 (Arm 64-bit).
Not quite certain why Arm and Intel/AMD Linux requires different builds, but I’m sure there’s a good reason…

1 Like

This is now 8th on the Xojo Roadmap (Roadmap — Xojo documentation) and 4th in Feedback (<https://xojo.com/issue/42794>). Hang in there.

1 Like

Ubuntu on Pi4 is cheap and excellent value.
64bit is the way to go!

2 Likes

After beta testing for more than a year, Raspberry Pi are now making their 64-bit OS available to a “wider audience”.

1 Like

Supporting the Raspberry is the main reason I’m interested in Xojo. Purchasing a license soon as well.

Pardon my ignorance but what real advantage is there to 64-bit on the Pi?

For one its a lot faster, like the RP CEO had promised in some article.

I been running it beta for a while on one RP 4 - (4 gb), and VS Code there is actually fast and feels usable while on another RP4 (8 gb) that has 32bit there VS Code is sluggish.

So yes its actually noticeable.

(I dont know if machines bellow RP 4 benefit from it)

Then there are all the loads of 3rd party board where on most of newer ones you only have option of 64 bit system.

1 Like

Don’t care that much about 64-bit PiOS, but I do care about 64-bit Linux ARM support (with Debian and Ubuntu, for example), but a anything that helps move this forward! :slight_smile:

Most of the upstream software packages have moved to 64bit so it was an increasingly difficult job maintaining the 32bit environments.

2 Likes
  • If your app needs to use more than 3 GB of RAM
  • Probably more packages compatible as 64-bit is mainstream for years

More advanced hardware that is 64bit only which uses different instructions which are quicker and/or use less power.

Here is an article which digs into the bits-and-bobs :slight_smile:

1 Like