Are IDE Tabs really this useless?

So, I’m editing a window - the IDE tabs for the edits are in the image.

The first tab is actually the “App” tab. just happen to have Window1 selected. (I miss the static App tab…)
The second tab is the result of double clicking “Window1” in IDE.
The third tab is from double clicking a control (from the second tab).
The fourth tab is editing the controls Open event (from the third tab).
And just for giggles, the fifth tab is editing the original Window1 Open event.

So, just how is one to tell which tab is editing what? Everything just says “Window1”. Shouldn’t there be some indication of what you’re editing other than a lame top level title?

Is this really “by design”? Am I missing something here? Is there a feedback I can sign on to?

PS: It’s late Friday, and probably not the best time to post, but this little annoyance has been bugging me…

I have yet to figure out what good at all the current tabs are… I end up with dozens of them … many showing the same window or module… their very existance in this IDE is annoying… can’t even make them invisible

I don’t agree - I use the Tabs all the time. How could I otherwise switch quickly between several places in my code, without loosing the current focus? (Not with the back-forward arrows in the toolbar, THAT is hardly ever working as expected).

Now that the tabs are no longer limited, I am (almost) happy again with the IDE. I must say, I do miss that feature of the old IDE, where I could group and save open sets.

As I wrote since I saw the new IDE for the first time: I would like to see such option again in Xojo, where I can save and restore a set of Tabs under a given name.

if you are inferring that the tabs are in reality “bookmarks”… that would be cool if there was a way to use them intutitvly… but I guess my workflow doesn’t mesh with the way they are. I mean 14 tabs that say “Window1”… what good is that?

Have you actually read the post and looked at the picture? There is certainly space for improvement …

Yes, I do encounter the situation described above, sometimes. Most of the time it works as expected.

I would see it as an improvement when on a locked tab, the navigator would stay locked as well.

So yes, there is space for improvement.

OPQ: Are IDE Tabs really this useless?
A: Yes

However, there place to improve them, the concept is useful (and the current implementation have “space for improvements”).

You can disable them in the menu (Hide Tabs).

Don’t shout

The RB behaviour was a good one: an icon indicated if the tab represents a window editor or code editor. That would help making tabs more useful.

Not trying to be disrespectful… just being honest, but of all the IDE’s I use, this one is ( for me ) definitely the worst.

I would really like a ‘Save’ button again on the toolbar.

I recently have been frustrated because I can’t lock certain items to a tab, like a folder. I have a folder of related classes I’m editing and I don’t want the tab locked to a single class, but the entire folder so I can quickly get back to just those related items.

But the lock icon is disabled, which means coming back to that tab it can show me anything in the entire project, not just the items in the folder. There are workarounds, but it seems like an odd limitation.

This IDE has a lot of things that make me scratch my head and wonder how anyone would have thought a number of aspects of it (some big, some small) were good ideas… But ever since the Xojo betas many have been saying the same things, so I really wonder if it is just a waste of time rehashing them yet again…

[quote=73299:@Christoph De Vocht]You can disable them in the menu (Hide Tabs).

Don’t shout[/quote]

Why are you alway accusing me of shouting?? it is getting to annoy me…

and no you cannot hide them… hiding them makes them vanish for 10 seconds.

[quote=73326:@Marc Zeedar]I recently have been frustrated because I can’t lock certain items to a tab, like a folder. I have a folder of related classes I’m editing and I don’t want the tab locked to a single class, but the entire folder so I can quickly get back to just those related items.

But the lock icon is disabled, which means coming back to that tab it can show me anything in the entire project, not just the items in the folder. There are workarounds, but it seems like an odd limitation.[/quote]
The limitations is because tab locking is based entirely on the location string of an item. Folders do not account into the location, so tab locking has no way to handle them.

Yeah, I figured it was something like that – but knowing why doesn’t solve my organizational problem. There are workarounds, such as using a Filter, but that’s not as simple as just being able to lock a folder so I can focus on editing the contents.

[quote=73335:@Thom McGrath]The limitations is because tab locking is based entirely on the location string of an item. Folders do not account into the location, so tab locking has no way to handle them.

[/quote]

I would have though the need to lock a tab to a folder view would have been obvious… Given the size of the navigator tree in anything but a trivial project, I would have thought being able to lock a tab to ANY item/level that can be displayed in the navigator (and when locked stay at that level in that tab) would have been in the design spec.

Really? Did you enable ‘Double click opens item in the new tabs’ ?

Anyhow, if you choose ‘Hide Tabs’ they never appear again. Even after 11 seconds.

Don’t shout

I’m sure this is some inside joke that I don’t really understand, but I have to admit, the second time made me laugh.