App wil not run when copied

Hi,

An app is running fine on my developing machine (Mac Pro, OSX 10.10.1), but when copied to another machine (Mac Mini, OS X 10.101) and run, it generates the error message “An exception of class NilObjectException was not handled. The app must close down.”

What causes this behavior? - Can anyone help me?

Strange

Did you forgot to move any supporting file(s) with your application ?

In other words, are the new machines missing any file(s) needed to run your application ?

Hi Emile,

The app is contained in a bundle, which seems to contain all necessary files.

Also, when trying to copy the app (i.e., the bundle) to a memory stick, after a few seconds of apparent copying I receive the message: “Error. - An error occurred. No such file or directory.”

I am quite at a loss! Any ideas?

Strange

No, I do not think so. Unless I do an error, I never get this kind of troubles copying an application.

I created a Windows application, all from OS X, copied it to Windows XP, tested it, uploaded it to my MediaFire account to be downloaded into an USB Memory Stick, then to the target Windows XP computer (no internet in the target computer) and all went OK.

In that application, I had a lot of images, but this is Windows and they are self-contained.

BTW: did you press the Command key while copying the application file into the Memory Stick ?

Also, are-you sure that the Memory Stick is OS X formated ? (Get Info on the Memory Stick icon to verify): FAT32 does not like (a.k.a. reject) any file larger than 4MB if one try to copy a file that large into a FAT32 volume.

We are so accustomed to not have trouble that sometimes the obvious is… forgotten!

No, I do not think so. Unless I do an error, I never get this kind of troubles copying an application.

I created a Windows application, all from OS X, copied it to Windows XP, tested it, uploaded it to my MediaFire account to be downloaded into an USB Memory Stick, then to the target Windows XP computer (no internet in the target computer) and all went OK.

In that application, I had a lot of images, but this is Windows and they are self-contained.

BTW: did you press the Command key while copying the application file into the Memory Stick ?

Also, are-you sure that the Memory Stick is OS X formated ? (Get Info on the Memory Stick icon to verify): FAT32 does not like (a.k.a. reject) any file larger than 4MB if one try to copy a file that large into a FAT32 volume.

We are so accustomed to not have trouble that sometimes the obvious is… forgotten!

[quote=153043:@Strange Ross]An app is running fine on my developing machine (Mac Pro, OSX 10.10.1), but when copied to another machine (Mac Mini, OS X 10.101) and run, it generates the error message “An exception of class NilObjectException was not handled. The app must close down.”

What causes this behavior? - Can anyone help me?[/quote]
An unhandled NilObjectException is caused by a bug in your code. This can happen if you are assuming something exists on the dev machine (perhaps a file in a specific location) and that thing does not exist on your test machine. You need to use Try/Catch to check for possible exceptions or at the very least put code in App.UnhandledException to display/log some information that might help you track the problem down.

Thanks, Paul, I shall try that.

Strange

Why not nstall Xojo on the second machine and runthe project ? In Debug, Xojo will tell you why and where it bugs.

Or use Remote debugging :slight_smile:

Red ears all over! - A file was missing.

Strange