App Store Debugging Receipt

If you get into an issue whereby trying to debug the receipt processing of your App Store App is constantly being rejected as the “App is damaged”. I may have found the reasoning.

12:06:33.078 E **storeuid** [3797:65e2d] [com.apple.commerce:CommerceKit] <ReceiptRefreshRequest: 0x7f88d0cc27b0>: Error fetching receipt for com.ohanaware.HDRtist - Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=512 "The file “_MASReceipt” couldn’t be saved in the folder “Contents”." UserInfo={NSFileOriginalItemLocationKey=file:///Volumes/rowlands/Applications/HDRtist.app/Contents/_MASReceipt, NSURL=file:///Volumes/rowlands/Applications/HDRtist.app/Contents/_MASReceipt, NSFileNewItemLocationKey=file:///System/Library/Caches/com.apple.receiptInstaller/HDRtist.app/_MASReceipt/, NSUnderlyingError=0x7f88d2b4abb0 {Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=512 "The file “_MASReceipt” couldn’t be saved in the folder “HDRtist.app”." UserInfo={NSURL=file:///System/Library/Caches/com.apple.receiptInstaller/HDRtist.app/_MASReceipt/, NSFilePath=/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.receiptInstaller/HDRtist.app/_MASReceipt, NSUnderlyingError=0x7f88d2b5e6c0 {Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=18 "Cross-device link"}}}}

If you manually move the app into the Psuedo Applications folder /Applications/ (I tried to script it and failed), it then works. I am not sure if I am doing something wrong or not, I don’t recall receipt debugging being this hard, but also this is the first time I’m using Catalina to do it with.

1 Like

Why do you do a hard link across devices?

Me, I don’t. I have all my data on a separate partition to the OS. I have some Sym Links to redirect certain user subfolders over to my data partition.

At least this error message does store where the OS caches the receipt files, which makes resetting them easier.

/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.receiptInstaller/