App doesn't run after compiling

Hello, i have written a lot of programs with Xojo. They are all running good.
But now, one program doesn’t start.
After compilation it happens nothing. (On another Notebook it works fine!)
I don’t know what happened. No opening event fires. Nothing.
The other programs and examples are running.
So i deleted all elements to find out what’s going wrong.
Now i have an empty window and “App” that doesn’t start.
Cache cleared, Xojo, Win restarted, Default Window is ok, …
Any ideas?
System Win11, Xojo 2022 R4.1

immediate unhandled exception?
No default window?
Blocked by virus checker.

Does it mean that in one computer it works (compiles fine, run, etc) and in another one it does not?
Maybe you should try uninstall Xojo and reinstall it.

@Rick_Araujo
That’s right, but why? I saved my “not working program” on our server. What happens if i try to open it on the other Laptop? It quits compiling too?
I always have to ask our system lord for reinstalling :frowning:

Shared folder? You should not. Each one should have a local copy.

@Rick_Araujo
This is it!
I copied the app on a local folder and it works!
But why and why now? It works fine for months on different notebooks / PC, saved on a server.
No update, static versions.
Now i have to put my app on a stick and test it on local machines everywhere???
No server??? (the app is for a company and has to work on different (manufacturing) machines, so i have to test it on different places)
Is there a better idea than a USB-stick?

I use dropbox for file sharing between computers BUT I work on local copies and have scripts that copy the project to/from dropbox. It’s a little extra effort, but it prevents the problems that arise from shared storage.

Of course, a source code control system is vastly better.

I think we have some miscommunication going on here.

I was talking about the Xojo project. Corruption of the project. I even asked “is it…?” and said “yes”.

Now you are talking like my “project is ok, I’ve build an app ok, it works here, then I copy the built app over the network to a shared folder so multiple people could run it, and it does not work in some places”.

Well, if this is the case, there are several possibilities:

Your code is defective looking for some resource in a wrong place like a hardcoded C:.… and it should be some relative path translating to something like \\host\sharedfolder\myapp\resourcefolder.…

Xojo code is defective looking for some resource in a wrong place like a hardcoded C:.… and it should be some relative path translating to something like \\host\sharedfolder\myapp\resourcefolder.…

A plugin code is defective looking for some resource in a wrong place like a hardcoded C:.… and it should be some relative path translating to something like \\host\sharedfolder\myapp\resourcefolder.…

In places where hardcoded read-only targets or name resolutions routines coincidentally renders paths that exist and match, it works.

If you have places trying to write in that server, clashing multiple users, unexpected results will rise too.

In some way, copying locally seems able to make such match occur, writing to local places, and it works. If you think that Xojo is guilt, and you can make a small sample showing the problem, open an Issue report and attach the sample and instructions on how to trigger the problem and let’s see what Xojo finds.

Many possibilities.

And again, don’t put a project in a shared place, unless you keep secure local snapshots of it to recover it WHEN that project goes corrupt, because it will, at some point, if 2 people access it. The minimal damage is losing some change you made.

1 Like

A lot of IT departments will block applications from running from USB drives.