API2 strikes again

I was fooling around adding an Open Text button and I took the example found there:

https://documentation.xojo.com/api/files/textinputstream.html

and I get an error… in that line:

  TextArea1.Value = t.ReadAll

Of course I squashed it.

Xojo 2021r1 / Big Sur 11.2.3

BTW: no keyboard shortcut for help now ?

Works for me out-of-the-box. Do you perhaps have a typo in the text area name on your window?

And what error?

VALUE. When changed to .Text it worked !!!

seems Value got deprecated, have you enabled treat warnings as error?
have you a error screenshots with .Value?

Out of the box as is my brain… A coffee is needed in the parking, white car, please !

Yes, it is deprecated, but the documentation forgot one update.

Imagine a newbie (with $ in his pockets) there !

as always :slight_smile: should be compiled and then generated …
maybe together with the text at webpage it
could be provided as xojo binary download as working example.

Gotcha. We have a different understanding of “error”. “Value” is deprecated indeed, but it would still work.

Your Analysis warning settings are as follows:

Screenshot 2021-04-17 at 11.31.35

In this case the IDE strikes back hard for everything not following API2 and you are getting the hint to use text now.

But if you un-check that box, your code will still be running. I usually use it unchecked for old projects, where I am only doing a few changes, but don’t want to “optimize” the code. For new project I will switch it on.

Nevertheless good catch, and the documentation should be updated.@Paul_Lefebvre is often doing such changes, but it obviously simplifies Xojo’s workflows by raising a FC or sending an email to docs@xojo.com

I have the zip archive handly, but not my codes to the web file server, so I placed my gun on the other shoulder :wink:

I wrote the code minutes ago… in a just created project to watch for unseen CRLF icon in TextArea… look at that thread to understand…

So, no, this project is not old.