api-ms-crt-runtime dll missing

Hi. I’ve heard back from a few customers (about 5 within the past couple of weeks) who are receiving the following error message:
“The program can’t start because api-ms-win-crt-heap-l1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer”

For those I was able to obtain, it seems that they are running Windows 7 who are seeing this message, but I haven’t collected this data from each who contacted me.

I searched quickly online for that message and found a Microsoft article which suggests performing a Windows update. As far as I can tell, something the users are doing is working, but for the ones I hear back from, they don’t quite tell me what they did and if the update worked.

Has anyone else experienced this? And is the Windows update the right path? I haven’t been able to recreate this error on my end

Yes, it is. You can read more about this Topic here: http://developer.xojo.com/windows-universal-runtime#

Thanks Sascha!

Pay particular attention to the section under “Including the DLLs with your App”. If you want to ensure zero customer complaints and smooth sailing, that is the path to follow.

Thanks Langue! Yes I did see that and will use this method going forward. Just needed a solution for those who might need for the time being

Your users may still need to run all software updates for Windows 7

Hi Norman. Are you saying that even if they download and run the redistributable file, they still need to run updates?

Also, I have a silly question. In the developer link above, it says for x86 apps to download the 32-bit, and for x64 apps to download the 64-bit. I checked the setting for my app and it’s set to 32-bit, so I would need to include the x86 file, right? That statement is referring to the app itself and not the user’s operating system, right?

I did just hear back from the recent customer who got this error and she said the Windows update did not help. Said she did all available updates. Anything else she’s missing? I did direct her to download the redist file

If users need to install the redistributable the best way to do it is

1. Run Windows Update & get all updates
  2. restart as needed
    repeat steps 1 and 2 until there are no more updates to install

THEN install the redistributable

And if you put the DLL’s next to your applications exe and users still experience issues they should install all Windows updates

IF they have already installed the redist they should remove it via the control panels add / remove programs
Then run steps 1 and 2 above and then reinstall the redistributable

This appears to ONLY affect Windows 7 and is not unique to Xojo applications.

Google for “api-ms-crt-runtime dll missing” and you’ll see what I mean

Thanks for the help Norman. I’ll have her make sure there are no additional updates available. It is possible more could’ve popped up after she updated.

Could you comment on my question in the previous post too?

AFAIK you install the version that matches your APP as a 32 bit app cannot open 64 bit DLL’s and a64 bit app cannot open 32 bit dll’s

Great thanks! That is what I thought but needed to check.

Oh, and side note, I just heard back from the customer. Her app is working now. I asked what she ended up doing, and she did all available updates and also downloaded the x86 file, so yay! Thanks again all!