Anyone using Paw for REST services?

Opinions? Is it any good?

Asking as there are too many fake reviews on software sites … :frowning:

Yes Markus,

The development that I do is mainly focused around integrations via APIs (REST and SOAP) and I use Paw on a daily basis.
There is even a plugin available that displays your queries as native Xojo code (utilizing either the old or new framework) that can be copy-pasted directly into your application.

It is a fantastic tool that I would recommend to anyone without hesitation.

I’ve used it on a few projects. The biggest being a freebie project I did for my sons robotics team where we had to pull event, team, and match information from a server for scouting purposes. Worked well.

I’d say worth using it as it simplifies code creation. Not that you couldn’t do it on your own, but it’s a shortcut.

Thanks for the advice. Paw is available as part of a $12 bundle, I was just suspicious because the other apps seem pretty … how to say that … sub-standard? On the other hand if Paw is any good then $12 is a no-brainer.

@Jared: what is the plug-in called?

What bundle?

http://blog.xojo.com/2016/01/06/generating-xojo-code-from-paw/

Yep, that’s the one.

IIRC, there was a slight compatibility issue with the extension files that are hosted on Xojo’s github when they are used in the latest version of Paw.

I believe that the issue was that the identifier string in the javascript didn’t exactly match the name of the folder that contained the script (a new requirement for Paw 3 apparently), but it was a while ago that I fixed that issue, so I don’t quite remember if that was all.

Either way, here is a link to a zip file that contains the extensions that are compatible with Paw 3.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zxzty0dwsvje1z3/Xojo%20Paw%20Extensions.zip?dl=1

Thanks!

@Tim: I got an email from MacBundler which pointed to http://www.bundlefox.com/september_utilities/

@Xojo, @Jared Feder, @Paul Lefebvre : I am really excited about Paw and the Xojo New Framework extension to it!

I am currently extending my seminar.pro desktop application with the capability to publish seminars (i.e.products) to wordpress/woocommerce and to keep products/customers/orders in sync.

It is great to test the REST API of woocommerce with PAW and immediately see sample Xojo code! Awesome!

Thanks a lot!

[quote=350899:@Oliver Osswald]@Xojo, @Jared Feder, @Paul Lefebvre : I am really excited about Paw and the Xojo New Framework extension to it!

I am currently extending my seminar.pro desktop application with the capability to publish seminars (i.e.products) to wordpress/woocommerce and to keep products/customers/orders in sync.

It is great to test the REST API of woocommerce with PAW and immediately see sample Xojo code! Awesome!

Thanks a lot![/quote]

I have been using it to with an REST API I have written in Xojo.

Not to derail the conversation, if you are writing a REST API, I suggest using Postman to test the API with. Then you can use newman which is a cli tool to run the Postman tests via cli. Which is nice as it integrates into CI/CD pipelines very well.