Anyone else Frustrated with Cloud?

… now XOJO itself shut down while deploying.

Could you tell us what that “collection of errors” was?

• this application has encountered an error and cannot continue
  • while launching (German:) Fehler bei der Verbindung (connection-error) + my IP
  • this application has encountered a fatal problem and must be shut down (while deployment)
  • your application could not be deployed because … bla bla … i don’t have any rights

One “error” on my side was that “use builds folder” must be activated. I call that a bug.

I received a hint from xojo: “Open the firewall.” Guess what… it didn’t work either.

@Thomas Sünkel - Please try deploying again. We did some maintenance on the hosting service this morning and things should be back to normal now.

Greg, I just had another freeze on upload. About half uploaded and the freeze. What’s worse, is that the only way to get out of it is to hard quit the IDE.

We’re aware of that and it is at the top of our list for 2014r2.

I reported this behavior in a private Feedback case on March 13th. It was marked as fixed on April 3rd. It has yet to be marked Fixed & Verified.

There are several varieties of ‘freeze’. I have identified these and sent them to Xojo:

• The 99% freeze. Progress bar full and it says there’s no time left
• The part way freeze. Progress bar is roughly half. Freezes and the time keeps going up never to end
• The “this will take a moment” freeze where it never recovers from the indeterminate progress bar

All of them require a hard quit.

[quote=83430:@Bob Keeney]There are several varieties of ‘freeze’. I have identified these and sent them to Xojo:

• The 99% freeze. Progress bar full and it says there’s no time left
• The part way freeze. Progress bar is roughly half. Freezes and the time keeps going up never to end
• The “this will take a moment” freeze where it never recovers from the indeterminate progress bar

All of them require a hard quit.[/quote]
I reported the first of the three varieties because it happened frequently and am happy to hear you reported all of them. The IDE should never require a hard quit.

I’ll terminate my Xojocloud-accound. I am only able to upload apps on my Mac, on one of our PCs in the company it’s impossible. The cloud ist very, very slow. Also we can’t connect via FTP or SFTP, so the download and changing of files is really ponderous.

All in all: good idea, bad implementation, unjustified price.

The way I see things is that Xojo should just stop the additional feature creeping (cloud) etc. and just focus on bug fixes, 64bit and IOS.

• Xojo Cloud is a new product and will become more and more stable
  • Before Xojo Cloud I lost count of the amount of “How to host” questions came up. Why shouldn’t Xojo try and provide a hosting facility?

Xojo Cloud has it’s problems but they are being addressed. My app needs SSH access and therefore, Xojo Cloud isn’t right for me… Yet…

Lee - my 2 pennyworth. iOS/64Bit are coming, loads of work going on in these departments. iOS Alpha due end May and 64 bit early next year (IIRC). Not sure stopping work on Xojo Cloud is going to make these appear any quicker. Bug fixes are always happening.

Xojo Cloud, 64bit and iOS do not conflict engineer-wise, so they don’t affect one another’s schedule.

Is there a bug report for this windows specific upload issue?

That’s something we want to do, it just wasn’t on the version 1.0 list.

Xojo website refers PRO users’ forum in case of having questions left before deciding to take a subscription for Xojo Cloud. Well, here I am. After reading all these posts above I need somebody who can convince me that Xojo Cloud is anyway a good solution right now.
Don’t understand why Xojo Inc is not providing a “one time try before you buy” option for pro-users, the easiest way to show the quality of a product.

Some things to keep in mind:

1. This is a new product. Version 1.0 always has some rough edges.
  2. Don’t take me as a usual case. I am much harsher than the average developer with a) very large apps and b) a lot of them and c) I’m doing things that aren’t officially supported (yet).
  3. The security, I think, is giving some some false positives which shuts down connections.

As someone who has been using Web Edition for many years now, it really is a one-click deployment. Deployment issues are, by far, the number one issue that everyone has with Web Edition. 32 bit compatibility libraries, permissions, app locations are just a few of them that I’ve had on my own servers. If you have a Windows IIS server it’s an ungodly amount of steps to configure. Not to mention the security is locked down pretty tight (sometimes to our detriment it seems).

I[quote=83991:@Joost Rongen]Don’t understand why Xojo Inc is not providing a “one time try before you buy” option for pro-users, the easiest way to show the quality of a product.[/quote]
On this I will agree. There’s no way to test the quality of the service at this point to see if it fits your needs. Because it costs Xojo money to do this (because Rackspace charges them) I think they’re being careful at this point to not be foolish with their money. Perhaps this will become an option at some point in the near future and it might not hurt to ask customer service.

I reported a bunch of issues this past weekend. Some of those issues have been cleaned up already (uploaded a bunch of apps today with zero issues). I believe that with the exception of some of the upload freeze issues, my problems are due to my extreme nature. WebFileUploader has sucked for years - not sure, short of a rewrite, if it will get better.

Well, anyone from Europe should wait for the London data center. Just because of the delays in transatlantic connection.

Phillips Zedalis is hosting from Amsterdam.

I signed up to the cloud when it first started and after a couple of hickups, I could upload some little toy test apps. It was so easy and I really like xojo so I decided to switch our backend to Xojo, and host it on the cloud.
Well the new front end is a SPA and runs really well. The special handler is perfect as a back end and got jsonp working from the cloud.
Brilliant?
Today I was ready to put serious work into Xojo cloud, BUT…

Do you thing I can get the damn thing to upload!
restart server, delete app of cloud, restart server, rename app, etc etc
and it all hangs!

I really want this to work but I cant run a business on this platform as it is.

When will next version be out or is there an emergency fix planned.???

James - Sorry you’re having trouble. I’m going to take a quick peek at your server and see what’s going on.