Anybody working with multiple developers on one Xojo project?

Hello,

I’m new to this forum and I’m evaluating Xojo. I’m comming from a Java / C# background and have lots of experience but not with Xojo :slight_smile:

The big question for me is: is it possible to work with multiple developers on one Xojo project at the same time? By default we only have one binary project file in Xojo and I have learned that it is possible to save project files as text and use for example Git to check in…

Is is possible to merge such project text files when multiple dev’s have changed for example the same dialog?

Unfortunately I can’t find any info about this. With Java and C# this would not be a question because everything is split up in source files like .java or .cs … the way Xojo stores sourcecode confuses me at the moment I can’t find “real” source files…

Any hints for me?

Thanks and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Stefan

first to export the project as text you need a paid licence, the free version does not allow you to export as text.
then you can read this : http://blog.xojo.com/source-control-solutions
and watch this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4YsbOUqPz8
and you will have your answers.

Thanks, Jean-Yves for answering so quickly.

So I hear from your answer that I would get something like “sourcefiles” from Xojo and this could be merged if multiple developers work on the same spot?

My problem is not so much that I don’t know how to use version control systems but more that I don’t know how the sources from the paid licens look because I don’t have a paid license (yet)…

But I’ve found some Xojo text project here https://github.com/xojo/XojoWars and this looks like it should be possible to work with multiple people at one project.

So is there anybody out there who is successfully working with multiple devs on the same Xojo project at the same time and would be willing to share some experience?

For example I’ve heard that Xojo does not automatically reload changed files when a change via git comes in…

I am the only one using Xojo in my company but I have found that when I make changes in a Git branch and then merge that branch into my Master branch, sometimes if I’ve made changes in Master (e.g. to fix a bug in the shipping version) then Git is able to successfully merge the code changes. So that indicates to me that multiple devs on the same project should also be able to have their code merged successfully.

as I am the only dev of my small company, and as I dont use version control but regular backups
I will let other(s) answer…

I read that xojo is developped with xojo
and xojo inc is a dev team …
is it true ?

I’m using Xojo in a multi dev environment and better IDE integration with Git would be nice but we’re working on the same codebase and it’s been fairly painless.

• Binary formats for your project won’t cut it. Text or XML is what you need, Text being our preference. That will require a paid license.
  • All our merging and Git work is done outside of Xojo, Sourcetree is what we use and does what we need.
  • Whenever we need to commit/merge/change branches etc or do anything source control wise we ensure we don’t have the codebase open in the Xojo IDE before we do that work. There is a reason for that but I can’t quite remember.

The IDE itself is written with Xojo so Xojo Inc are eating their own dog food (I hate that phrase but that’s the phrase they use!). They have multiple developers working on it simultaneously so you should be able to achieve what you need.

You may find the webinar@JEAN-YVES BOSC pointed to useful (Xojo and Source Control) @Justin Elliott has also done a couple of really cool Git webinars I’ve found very useful…

If you’re evaluating Xojo, speak to customer services - they are “fairly” approachable (custserv@xojo.com) :wink: They may be prepared to give you a 30 day license or something so you can test out the text project format with Git.
Don’t want to speak for them, they may not be happy doing this but worth an ask.

[quote=266853:@Jean-Yves Pochez]as I am the only dev of my small company, and as I dont use version control but regular backups
I will let other(s) answer…

I read that xojo is developped with xojo
and xojo inc is a dev team …
is it true ?[/quote]
true

[quote=266847:@Stefan Ames]Thanks, Jean-Yves for answering so quickly.

So I hear from your answer that I would get something like “sourcefiles” from Xojo and this could be merged if multiple developers work on the same spot?

My problem is not so much that I don’t know how to use version control systems but more that I don’t know how the sources from the paid licens look because I don’t have a paid license (yet)…

But I’ve found some Xojo text project here https://github.com/xojo/XojoWars and this looks like it should be possible to work with multiple people at one project.

So is there anybody out there who is successfully working with multiple devs on the same Xojo project at the same time and would be willing to share some experience?

For example I’ve heard that Xojo does not automatically reload changed files when a change via git comes in…[/quote]
We do. The Xojo IDE itself is written in Xojo and we have engineers all over the Western Hemisphere who work with this code.

Yes, we use the text format and yes, we use SVN (Subversion) and yes there are times when two people edit the same code at the same time.

The way we handle this is that we don’t update while the IDE is running. It would be very confusing if you did an update and suddenly your code (which worked a few minutes before) no longer worked right. Typically we finish testing our change to make sure everything is okay, update from the server to see if there are any conflicts, resolve them if necessary (as most svn clients point them out rather obviously) and then check in our changes.

I am a single Dev. but use Git and Tower and Text Project Format.
Works just as i would expect it.

Thanks to all for your answers. So I’ve leaned that Xojo is able to do that… and also I’ve learned that the Xojo community is very fast in answering and very friendly…

You guys rock, thank you again… :slight_smile:

Here’s the project format info: Project Formats in User Guide

And if you’d like to see examples of the project, there are lots of open-source project on GitHub that you can explore, many of which have had multiple contributors:

Xojo Open-Source Projects

We have three developers working simultaneously. If two work on the same part of the code, like your dialog example, it will change the same single file. Depending on the changes, git may be able to merge the changes successfully, or you will have to deal with conflicts manually. We generally try to avoid that situation, but it’s doable.

Otherwise, it hasn’t been an issue. Depending on your planned release cycles, you might want to check out the git-flow methodology. See https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials/comparing-workflows/