Any word on the state of 64bit / LLVM?

Not “sooner than we think”, but “sooner than some think”.

That is what happens when I am late…

Please forgive my blatant ignorance of the Mac OS X framework, but in Linux there seems to be ways to call 64 bits functions from 32 bits applications c - How do 32-bit applications make system calls on 64-bit Linux? - Stack Overflow .

Would it not be possible to conceive such interfacing for Mac OS X ?[quote=128803:@shao sean]In terms of backwards compatibility, I thought this was a good (short) read where he proposes to plan for future compatibility…

Backwards Compatibility Is For Suckers | ircmaxell's Blog [/quote]

About as much compassion as Maggie Thatcher :confused: This guy is an insensitive bully who’s probably too young and too superficial to understand the need for software investment durability.

Which is what he is saying - by planning ahead for the (possible) future your software should be more durable and easier to maintain and upgrade…

In an ideal world, software should be absolutely perfectly OOP, bug free, amply documented, well formatted, altogether as elegant and clear as a diamond. We all know this is not true.

In the real world, there are a lot of projects that are collective endeavours, long term and big, which cannot for many reasons including strategic, be rewritten so easily. For instance corporate projects which the firm very existence depends upon. Then the problem becomes how much will be the cost of an overhaul, plus the size of the project involved, including the manpower.

It is easy to write a blog telling professionals what they should do ; it is much more difficult to be in the field. So much so that it explains a great deal about why Windows XP lasted so long, because Vista “innovations” were so messy.

It’s not just for Facebook, it does other services as well.

The alternatives are to roll our own code for each and every service, and then we have to maintain it. We did this in the past, and it was tedious work.[quote=128815:@Michel Bujardet]Please forgive my blatant ignorance of the Mac OS X framework, but in Linux there seems to be ways to call 64 bits functions from 32 bits applications[/quote]

There may be a magic way, but I don’t know about it, I’ll look at your link when I get home.

I guess another way, might be to write a small Objective-C application that my app then calls.

[quote=128829:@Sam Rowlands]
I guess another way, might be to write a small Objective-C application that my app then calls.[/quote]

I had suggested a helper a while ago. Seems doable at first glance. At least for some functions. In a way, that is how it is done with some DLL in Windows.

I finally got Core Animation working nicely with Xojo yesterday, so you better add another framework to my list of Apple only frameworks that I rely on!

I’ve yet to experiment, it shouldn’t be too difficult. I’m waiting to see if the next DP includes this framework before I embark on such a quest.

Fingers crossed the issue will be fixed …

You and me alike, although it’s really hampering productivity!

Especially on a touch screen :wink:

[quote=128573:@Michel Bujardet]I agree that Apple is always making technological strides and conceptual leaps that can hardly be matched by MS. But the VERY annoying thing is that deprecation mania that they have. The latest one is the 32 bits code that does not work in Yosemite. Why be so cruel to both developers and users ? I can admit that all the software I bought for PowerPC went the way of the dinosaurs with Rosetta, but why force away Intel code, and in the process break applications users had bought in good faith with their hardly earned money ?

Another aggravating habit of Apple is the adventurous use of technologies later dropped without explanations. Such as Multi Master fonts support simply abandoned when OpenType came about. So what are users who created documents with these fonts supposed to do ? Things that cannot be said over television ?

MS on the other hand almost never retires existing APIs and system calls, even undocumented. I have apps that date back to the 90s that still work fine in Windows 8.1 64 bits, like the Office Suite 1998. As a paying customer, I appreciate Microsoft respect for its end users.

As a developer, I concur entirely with Wayne. Having not to constantly jump from one branch to another to keep up is a godsend.

I agree that the Windows world is somewhat less advanced than Apple’s, though. But it is not still either. It sometimes may take a while, but on the long run, Windows tends to catch up.

Not all developments require the admirable edge technology you employ in your apps.[/quote]

Michel told you all I think about this, congratulations.