Any way to change font/size of MenuItems?

Hey all, just wondering if/how I can change the font and size of MenuItems? Haven’t seen anything in docs or searches … Thanks.

On what platform? You’ll probably need declares.
Though I highly recommend against doing this. Apple has designed very readable fonts, and the size is determined better by the user’s accessibility settings.

I would avoid doing so as that’s an OS level thing. What is your reason for changing the menu font and size?

How about an app running on a 4K TV the other side of the room…

(Been there)

Change the settings in OS Preferences as Tim eluded to

or Binoculars :slight_smile:

Ooops, forgot to check back… It is on Windows right now but may also release on Linux at some point. I just think the default sizes are a bit small, the gui is pretty simple so I made the text of every element larger. Now the menu text looks tiny and out of place.

You should leave everything at it’s defaults, and if anything seems too small to see then adjust your system accessibility settings. By tweaking the font sizes in your app, you’re messing with the system’s ability to work with other user’s accessibility settings.

You say leave everything at default. How about when a section needs emphasis or some such? When most of an app is graphical, with little text. The text should still be default, non styled, etc? I have yet to see a really widely used, high quality app that does not have stylized text (including various sizes for different uses). it looks very odd having an app heavy in detailed plots and tables, with tiny little text next to and half the window wasted (or just tiny little windows that is even weirder). Also, in my experience most people don’t have that set correctly or know where to find it, I’d rather have an app that is how I want by default and a few pts large for people who have it set higher because they have trouble seeing in the first place.

I’m not here for an argument. I’m tired of arguing with people here.
You can ignore my advice if you want, but you’re only making your app more difficult to use for those with accessibility needs.

I answered your original question in the first post. Everything else is advice on making your app easier to use and more professional.

Peace.

Maybe a really dumb question, but I’ve asked them before … just out of curiosity, can XOJO access those “accessibility settings” and modify them dynamically, if required?

@Don Lyttle — Not that I know of. Accessibility are available only through declares

Even it if can, I wouldn’t… this affects the User Experience system wide, which may not be what your user wants.

Don’t do anything that affects the visual aspects of a users system outside the confines of your application, unless it is with the users direct consent

[quote=421142:@Dave S]Don’t do anything that affects the visual aspects of a users system outside the confines of your application, unless it is with the users direct consent

[/quote]
Makes sense … I guess you might end up “solving one problem and creating a bunch more”.