Android Development

Over the last few days I have been researching how easy it would be to produce a very simple Android application, just a few web api calls and a browser view. I looked at PhoneGap, the official Android Studio package and B4A. Only after trying to make a simple application do I now appreciate how easy Xojo really is. Sure if you use PhoneGap/Android Studio and maybe B4A everyday it may make sense to you, but to me - coming from C#/VS and even knowing some Java from a long time ago it looks like a real dogs dinner.

Dear Xojo - I know it is not easy to add Android but the world really needs it done the Xojo way even if it just translates to Java.

Even if they started it today it would probably be at least 18 months before it’s ready for beta. Don’t hold your breath.

I know, I am not expecting anything and I may go with a browser-only solution for Android or have to suffer Android Studio but I really wanted to highlight how horrible the available tools actually are and also acknowledge how good Xojo is in this respect.

I can see that ‘Add support for building apps for Google’s Android…’ is the top case in the feedback system and I can understand that is would be a huge undertaking and expense for Xojo - but wow if only I could target the three main desktop and two main mobile OS with one development tool.

Architecturally Android is off on its own little planet compared to everything else we target & that poses certain challenges

I would argue that Android is just off on its own little planet, (> 20GB on disk for ADK+JDK+Android Studio) - but it has been remarkably successful.

Resource allocation decisions are made according to a relatively short list of methods. Such methods typicaly revolve around strategic considerations and tactical considerations. Strategic considerations include market size, market evolution, a number of unknown considerations to us users, but known to decision makers, long term competitive forecast, etc. Tactical would include state of technology (“low hanging fruits”), short term competitive situation, etc.

Mileage varies according to specific assessments made by each organization.

We users can wish, want, require and even demand. In the end, resource allocation decisions have only so much to do with our tantrems. They are only one of the factors in the matrix. We would all be better off understaning it and assimilating the concept.

That said, let,s keep wishing, wanting, requiring and demanding. Even throwing the occasional tantrem. This is what puts some weight in the matrix element “user community requirements”. (or whatever else it is called)

IF you consider all versions as “the same” - which they aren’t
We’d have to pick a baseline Android version & that might be something like KitKat or newer
But thats definitely not something we’ve even approached yet as we haven’t got definitive plans about Android as of today
Still LOTS of other things that have to get “done” like 64 bit debugging and HiDPI / Retina work

[quote=251867:@Louis Desjardins]
That said, let,s keep wishing, wanting, requiring and demanding. Even throwing the occasional tantrem. This is what puts some weight in the matrix element “user community requirements”. (or whatever else it is called)[/quote]

Tantrums dont help

I did not feel tantrems could be removed from reasonable expectations based on history documented in this forum. :wink:

Granted, a properly documented feature request will surely provide extra mileage to the requester.

Try AppInventor for Android development. It is free and amazingly easy to use. I gave up on Android Studio for the reasons the OP mentioned.

http://appinventor.mit.edu/explore/