Alpha and Beta testers

Don’t go thinking you’re special. I make a fool of myself all the time too.

We all have our moments. It will be my turn tomorrow. :stuck_out_tongue:

Pictures of me suitable for profile pictures are not taken often. I’m usually on the other side of the camera.

Paige got that one of me while I wasn’t paying attention - notice the Canon in my hands :slight_smile:

Shoot, he’s catching on. Quick, somebody throw a shiny object Gavin’s way…

Didn’t you mean Doug’s way :stuck_out_tongue:

Squirrel !

or my turn.

I seem to have been dropped as well.

I hope this wasn’t something someone at Xojo did as a conscious decision. If so, time for me to start worrying. There aren’t many more users that can positively affect the product and community as Tim does. Dropped from the Beta? C’mon.

Thanks, Merv. Nothing sinister. I guess I got into trouble for fighting with Norman and was put on double secret probation.

Mr. Hare: two C’s, two D’s and an F. That’s a 1.2. Congratulations, Hare. You’re at the top of the Xojo pledge class. Funny movie!

So I was right to not ask.`

Also: getting a no can be an unsupportable news, sometimes.

At last, when I was a beta tester, I started new projects before adding new feature(s) to my ‘current’ project. Doing so is very interesting: you saw things, basic things, only ‘Joe Newbie’ will fall into !
[Note: I still do that, it is another way to add a feature. Xojo ask a project skeleton to demonstrate a bug, I do a skeleton project to add a feature and I think it is a very good idea.
Debugging an application already created with a beta is also a great idea: it allows to know if some changes break ‘legacy‘ code. And that is good.]

About the bug reports: I seem to be on a very small nice because my bugs, those I reported (long time ago) only affect me (or so). This does not push people to report more bugs.

About features: There was one feature I really liked that was from REALbasic (RB) 1 thru 5, then disappears in RB 2005 until … early 2010s ? and re-disappear. I forgot its name, but basically was something like Option-Click → Make a copy of the ‘Option-CLicked’ word at the current cursor position. And it was possible to do that with the object names from the Navigation pane (from what was before the Navigation). Instead of Copy / Paste ! Very nifty little feature. Lost in the digital night of time.

About the copy protection shema: when this hurts you / your productivity, it is time to ask. It tooks me around two weeks, nearly two years ago to be able to install my license into Xojo while it tooks me two minutes to buy that two years license. And I am in the computer business since 1980 ! (I mean that I am not a total idiot…)

Not me: they are Joe / Jane Newbie and I feel their experience can be very valuable.

A newbie can be a valuable asset in a testing program. However, that assumes that they can even articulate what they’re experiencing other than “it doesn’t work” which happens far too often in the beta program.

It takes a while to learn Xojo. Most people try to force it to be whatever language they’re most familiar with. Xojo isn’t VB6, it isn’t C#, C++, Java, PHP or anything else you can think of. It is it’s own language with foibles, workarounds, and terminology that simply takes exposure to learn. In other words, just like every other language.

I signed up for the beta program due to my need for the expected performance increase for 64 bit / LLVM in math intensive code. I however have been testing the new framework intensely on the Mac and have submitted feedback reports on issues found there. I sincerely hope that I can be added back when the Mac 64 bit / LLVM beta becomes available. I am now committed to the new framework due to the amount of coding that I had to do to convert but am at a standstill due to bugs that I have encountered.