Alias not working in the Plugins folder

Hi,

I was under the impression that file or folder aliases were allowed in the Plugins folder. Am I wrong?

Eric.

as far as I know the plugins folder can be an alias to store plugins elsewhere.

[quote=127821:@Eric de La Rochette]Hi,

I was under the impression that file or folder aliases were allowed in the Plugins folder. Am I wrong?

Eric.[/quote]
No issues here with aliases or symlinks
What problem are you running into ?

[quote=127828:@Norman Palardy]No issues here with aliases or symlinks
What problem are you running into ?[/quote]
Xojo 2014r2.1 ( and previous ) on Yosemite.
The IDE doesn’t load the plugins pointed by the aliases ( to a file or to a folder ) in the Plugins folder.

[quote=127983:@Eric de La Rochette]Xojo 2014r2.1 ( and previous ) on Yosemite.
The IDE doesn’t load the plugins pointed by the aliases ( to a file or to a folder ) in the Plugins folder.[/quote]

Just checked, it works fine here with MBS Xojo Main plugin…

I removed the cache files, Xojo’s folders in the ~/Library/Application Support folder, all Xojo preference files, reboot the MacMini and then launch the IDE. The Plugins folder contains the original database plugins plus an alias to the MBS Xojo Main Plugin.xojo_plugin file. No luck. I remove all the plugins except MBS’ main plugin and relaunch the IDE. Still no luck.

I had not noticed that was under Yosemite. Sorry about that.

After test, I confirm aliases are not recognized in the Plugin folder. Maybe using symbolic links would do the trick, but I have not tried.

I just checked, and symbolic links work fine.

To create a symbolic link, enter this in the Terminal or in a shell :

ln -s <path&name of the original> <path&name of the link> 

For all intents and purposes, symlinks are seen by the system as the original, so on surface they are the same as aliases. But while aliases are managed by OS X, symlinks are a feature of the underlying Unix.

They are much less sophisticated than aliases : attempting to copy them will copy the original, and if the original is moved, or if a folder along the path is renamed, it will break the link. So you will need to create them again for each new Xojo version plugin folder, since it will not be the same path.

I superficially tested aliases to apps and documents under Yosemite and they seem to work fine. So something must be wrong specifically with the way Xojo opens the plugins that does not agree with Yosemite treatment of aliases.

Looks like a bug worth reporting through Feedback.

Done. <https://xojo.com/issue/35293>