Adding pictures to the IDE

What happens to pictures when you add them to the IDE; ie icons and other files? Are they stored into the project file? One would think that this is the case as the context menu shows ‘make external’ and ‘export’, among others. But when I run the project on another machine with no access to the original source I have to resolve the missing files’ problems. Why is that?

I thought that assets added to the IDE are converted to constants, and they do as you can address them in your source. But then why the ‘missing files’ issue?

Images are not ‘stored’ in the project file. The project file only retains a file reference for them. I highly suggest putting your images in the same directory as the project file so the project is transportable.

Are there ‘gotu’ like this?

Too bad… that would be a major enhancement…

I disagree. To include possibly large graphics files in the project would certainly bloat the project file and likely slow down loading. I find it no big deal to keep graphics in a separate file along side my project.

That may be the case though I would love to see this working for small files like icons and button png’s.

But then it’s a matter of defining big vs small. What’s the cutoff? And you could be assured that if a graphic is a mere 1k over the limit someone will complain - and loudly. It’s easier this way, IMO.

However, I do think it would be helpful to have a ‘package’ command that would let the IDE grab external items, such as images, and place them in a single folder for transport. Our team has issues with this every now and then.

Hi Bob,
Agreed. But the ‘export’ function or ‘make external’ makes no sense IMHO as the file itself is not in the IDE. It is already ‘exported’ or ‘external’.

You’re right, but External objects make perfect sense for practically every other Xojo IDE object because those are stored in the project file. It’s just that graphics are not. For every rule there’s an exception.

[quote=92830:@Alexander van der Linden]Hi Bob,
Agreed. But the ‘export’ function or ‘make external’ makes no sense IMHO as the file itself is not in the IDE. It is already ‘exported’ or ‘external’.[/quote]
Thats a bug - they should not show since they are already “not internal”