About to upgrade to Catalina -

I’m about to upgrade to Catalina from Mojave
I had a look in the About This Mac/system report/Applications/Xojo and found it was 32bit
Will my version of Xojo still work (2017 Release 2.1) or can I download a 64 bit version of it - or do I need to UPGRADE?

[quote=479532:@Stuart Sykes]I’m about to upgrade to Catalina from Mojave
I had a look in the About This Mac/system report/Applications/Xojo and found it was 32bit
Will my version of Xojo still work (2017 Release 2.1) or can I download a 64 bit version of it - or do I need to UPGRADE?[/quote]
Yes, you will need to upgrade your version of Xojo. Catalina will not run 32-bit apps.

I think Xojo2017r3 was the first 64bit version.

At best you could run 2017 Release 2.1 in a Parallels macOS VM on Catalina, but not recommended.

If you can avoid upgrading to Catalina, do so. It’s a crock. I have to use it on my 16” MBP, and it makes me sad every day.

yes there absolutely no need to upgrade to catalina except if one of your app requires it. stay safe. and make regular backups.

Or if you’re a developer and want to use and be accustomed to the operating system that the majority of your Mac users likely use.

thanks guys

Used this as an excuse to buy my daughter a new laptop. Loaded Catalina on her older one for testing but have kept my machine at Mohave for the time being. I have zero intention of having to sit at that every day. Still with updates it’s still horrid. Apple dropped the ball worse on this than anything else I’ve ever seen them do including the meme worth hilarity of some of their past actions. I’m still waiting for a version that makes me trust it on my daily use machine that won’t cost me too many hours of wasted life every day. It’s not there yet.

You can’t even reliably install it on an external drive as it makes changes to the disk formats or partitioning or something that may, I haven’t tried this lately, make it impossible to boot the earlier OS versions or to even re-install them without reformatting the drive completely. Not just a boot to the recovery partition as that won’t let you install the older version.

I’m happy testing with it on a separate older machine. Zero interest at this time in running it on my daily use machine.