64Bits: visibles differences between 2015r1 and 2015r3 (without generating the application)

Hi,

if there are some, what are the differences between running a project in the 2015r1 IDE vs 2015r3 IDE ?
[without compiling the application: my license ended with 2015r1)

There are no visible changes between 32bit and 64bit compiled apps.

[quote=223540:@Emile Schwarz]Hi,

if there are some, what are the differences between running a project in the 2015r1 IDE vs 2015r3 IDE ?
[without compiling the application: my license ended with 2015r1)[/quote]

It runs just the same, as long as you do not select 64 bit in build settings.

Plainly wrong !

I checked yesterday and YOU CANNOT RUN THE PROJECT IN 64 BITS !

You can only build the application if you have a running license !

That was the question and this is the answer.

Hmm, interesting, so that means that we cannot actually debug the app on 64 Bit part ? i noticed that as well, when i set 64 Bit the play button becomes disabled.

Is this a bug or a IDE Limitation ?

I was watching TV when I was doing that, so I heard the Beep cmd-r issued. I then redo the cmd-r command, get the same beep (or its brother), and then watched attentively the screen to discover the “play button” is greyed.

IDE temporary limitation, I think.
It may be implemented in a later version to give users the ability NOW to build 64 bits Stand Alone applications.

It just slow down a bit the developer productivity; small annoyance vs TTM (Time To Market).

That’s my guess because only Xojo people can told us what will be done.

It’s in the release notes. Debugging in 64-bit is not available in 2015r3.

When debugging is not available in 64bit, then Xojo is certainly not the tool for us on this moment.

It seem Xojo inc released 64bit in a hurry. It seems safe to wait for a year until finally decide to renew or not. There are so many controversal replies which makes it difficult to base a decision on.

For the cost of a pro licence, Xojo inc has to deliver a full working environment, which clearly is not the case now with r3. We will continue using Xojo 2015r2.3 until Xojo 64bit meet our quality standards and then renew. Or we will buy a cheap license which let us build 64bit and test it ourselves later on.

I already wrote that: TTM. Time To Market for us and them. If your license covers Xojo 2015r3, you can generate the application, makes the debugs and once all is OK, release 64 Bits applications.

It will just takes a different way to generate the application.

$1990 ? Yes, I agree.

Language barrier:

I understand the above sentence as “Using the debugging…”
not “unable (at the moment) to run in the IDE as 64 Bits”.

And when the release notes have too many entries, I forgot (when I read them) some entries… as soon as I saw them :frowning:

I will never cease to be amazed at the himalayan number of people reading neither the release notes nor the numerous posts about that in the forum who suddenly wake up “what ? I can’t run in 64 bits?” :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=224396:@Emile Schwarz]@Chris Verberne For the cost of a pro licence,
$1990 ? Yes, I agree.[/quote]

Stop with that $1990 cr@p, that is the Enterprise License. The Pro license is $699.

[quote=224367:@Aurelian Negrea]Hmm, interesting, so that means that we cannot actually debug the app on 64 Bit part ? i noticed that as well, when i set 64 Bit the play button becomes disabled.

Is this a bug or a IDE Limitation ?[/quote]
This is two sided
There is code in the app to be debugged that talks to the IDE
Both ends need to be updated & audited to make sure that everything still works
The original protocol was designed in a 32 bit world

So you cannot debug 64 bit apps - yet
Its on the TO DO list

Not to me. (And, I’m sure, not to the entire Xojo team which has been working diligently on what is/continues to be a large task.)

Certainly, not being able to run 64-bit apps in the debugger is a “challenge,” but I would MUCH rather have the ability to build 64-bit executables now than have to wait until the debugger is 64-bit ready.

From my point of view, Xojo’s decision to release 64-bit building capabilities now was absolutely the right one.

Debugging implies being able to analyse errors and examine variable at a given point of the program. That can certainly be achieved in a build with System.DebugLog without a run in the IDE.

If you mean breaking point and step execution that is another thing.

I would not qualify this release as “in a hurry”. We had about three times more beta versions than a normal release, and there was a huge amount of reports. I don’t have any special inside information, but I suspect Xojo engineers have been working on 64 bit for much longer than since last year’s announcement. It is simply an extraordinary release that required an extraordinary amount of work.

Fact is maybe since the transition between PPC and Intel I had never seen such a quantum leap. They may have been forced to speed up when after sweating to issue 2015R1 with iOS, Apple diktat forced them to issue 64 bit iOS faster than they had planned. But fact remains, 2015R3 produces stable code as any other Xojo release, which I consider a superb accomplishment. Xojo engineers or Geoff seldom boast, but their humility should not be ground to ignore or demean what is really a remarkable feat of programming.

Now, it is indeed your privilege to decide if you need to produce 64 bit executable, and your production methods require step by step execution and break points. It is even more your privilege to decide if and when to renew or buy a new license. Some people here do not have that choice, when their customers require it, or when the platform such as Linux won’t execute 32 bit anymore.

Printf debugging worked long before there were interactive debuggers
And still today there are times when its the right answer
Especially when trying to debug activate deactivate events which a debugger messes up because it causes those events to occur when normally they wouldn’t

We know the debugger needs to get working.
Trust me I’ll need it for working on the IDE itself.

But there are only 24 hours in a day
Anyone submit a FR to the universe to make metric days yet ?

And we have Project Analyze Project to help debug!

[quote=224432:@Norman Palardy]This is two sided
There is code in the app to be debugged that talks to the IDE
Both ends need to be updated & audited to make sure that everything still works
The original protocol was designed in a 32 bit world

So you cannot debug 64 bit apps - yet
Its on the TO DO list[/quote]

Thanks Norman, best answer so far, i guess we will just have to wait for the update when it will be available.

Good luck and happy coding.