3rd party Database plugins: require Database license for IDE?

I can run a REALSQLDatabase project but not one which uses CubeSQL. Do 3rd party database plugins like CubeSQL, or the MBS SQL plugin require a database server license for the IDE?

Any database plugin that uses our database API will require a database server license.

Ah! Got it. Thanks for clarification.

Would it be better to only require the database server license when building a project which requires it? At least that way prospective customers could demo the integration to justify the purchase.

Geoff, I remember I asked you about it and last year you limited the license requirement to your own database plugins!?

Please clarify as people will ask that.

That is how it works. The fact that it’s requiring the license when running is a bug that has been fixed for beta 3.

[quote=1605:@Christian Schmitz]Geoff, I remember I asked you about it and last year you limited the license requirement to your own database plugins!?

Please clarify as people will ask that.[/quote]
A database server license is required for any plugin that uses our database API. RealSQLDatabase/XojoDatabase are not servers so they do not require a database server license.

even when i am using the CubeSQLServer plugin instead of the RealSQLServer plugin??

Regardless of whether the database plugin comes from us or not. If it uses our database API then it will require a database server license.

i see… so just have to wait to test my project then… until the db server license is available for us.

In fact, it is good to know that CubeSQL relies on Xojo Database API. One good reason for me to use CubeSQL is that I allow my users to create their single user database (REALSQLDatabase) and then upload it to CubeSQL Server. There, they just have to add users and that’s it. They have to learn less than for handling word or excel documents.

I hope this remains like this. Big advantage over MySQL, Postgres, Oracle, MS SQLServer, etc…

From Real Blog:

"Anyone who has or had a modern Real Studio license (2005 - present) will have their license automatically converted as follows:

Personal => Desktop
Professional => Desktop + Console + DB
Web => Web + DB
Enterprise => Desktop + Web + Console + DB"

So, if have right now, a license level > Personal, you already have a DB License, it’s only not issued yet.

Still do not know any more. Christian, does the MBS SQL plugin use
The Xojo DB API?

As far as I know with current plugins, you do not need one for SQLConnectionMBS class. But you need one for SQLDatabaseMBS class.
It’s your decision.

I am using the SQLConnectionMBS Class in my current project.

Question to Geoff: How is this actually enforced? Does the Xojo IDE
detect if the DB API is called from any project code and then refuse
to build if the license does not cover DB server usage?

For info: for “Valentina for Xojo” (V4RB) plugin, DB license is not required if to use native Valentina API (this do 99% of our users).

Confirmed by our users already.