2016R1, hoped for something new for iOS

Although there was told that R2 would get more attention for iOS, I had really high hopes for something new for iOS in this release. Even 1 tiny new control would have made my day. Unfortunately that isn’t the case. “Just” wait for another 3-4 months.

Luckily at least now there is Retina support :).

While 2016r2 is the iOS focused release- there is a small new feature in iOS we had various requests for that we added for 2016r1.

You can now change the current view directly/instantly- without requiring a PushTo or navigation hierarchy. This can be nice for login screens or other scenarios where animation/navigation is not wanted:

App.CurrentScreen.Content = myNewView

That’s cool.

BTW, is there a way to change the background color of a view ?

[quote=257687:@Johan van Breemen]Although there was told that R2 would get more attention for iOS, I had really high hopes for something new for iOS in this release. Even 1 tiny new control would have made my day. Unfortunately that isn’t the case. “Just” wait for another 3-4 months.

Luckily at least now there is Retina support :).[/quote]

I just startet my very first iOS Prject, a very simple one. And i am SHOCKED to see the limited amount of UI Controls and missing iOS Features like access to the Camera, Location, Accelerator Meter and so on. In my oponion, in it’s current state there’s no advantage by using Xojo instead of Xcode for iOS development.

[quote=257691:@Travis Hill]While 2016r2 is the iOS focused release- there is a small new feature in iOS we had various requests for that we added for 2016r1.

You can now change the current view directly/instantly- without requiring a PushTo or navigation hierarchy. This can be nice for login screens or other scenarios where animation/navigation is not wanted:

App.CurrentScreen.Content = myNewView[/quote]

Can you explain how this is suppose to work? It doesn’t seem to work here.

[quote=260857:@jean-paul devulder]Hi Derk,

simple example here: [/quote]

In the open event i wouldn’t work…:frowning:
Perhaps you do know how to set a “theme” eg how IOSView.setTintColor works?

Any news on the expected iOS features for the next release?

Plugin support?
ComboBox or UIPicker?
New UI controls?

thanks

[quote=266260:@Samuel Roux]Any news on the expected iOS features for the next release?

Plugin support?
ComboBox or UIPicker?
New UI controls?

thanks[/quote]

Plugin Support would be a KILLER one :smiley:

It’s ranked #24 in Feedback.

From what Norman said, until iOS 7 has gone to the grave, we’ll be stuck without plugins.

iOS7 is gone. Here are some usage Stats (updated weekly).

Cool statistics.
FileMaker just delivered second copy of their iOS SDK and it includes more or less a tiny app and a huge framework with the functionality. So I wait for a way to add my own framework as plugin there.

So what are your thoughts, I need to develop an iOS app with specific SDKs including Microbink’s PDF417 and Infinite Peripherals for barcode scanning through Add-on Hardware. Should I work hard to reuse all my Xojo data model or just recreate everything from scratch in Swift?

I have no idea what the SDK is, but chances are you probably will endure less pain and suffering using documented Swift than venture in Xojo with a ton of declares. The most ironic being that you cannot come up with the appropriate declares without a thorough knowledge of both Swift (or Objective-C) and Xojo. So if you have to learn Swift to implement in Xojo, you might as well go Swift all the way.

Unless of course you already have a huge legacy code, but still, you will need a big overhaul to migrate to the new framework. And you may yet bump into the extreme limitations of Xojo iOS.

[quote=266425:@Christian Schmitz]Cool statistics.
FileMaker just delivered second copy of their iOS SDK and it includes more or less a tiny app and a huge framework with the functionality. So I wait for a way to add my own framework as plugin there.[/quote]

With a complement of MBS plugins, Xojo iOS could very well become at last a professional RAD :slight_smile:

[quote=266514:@Michel Bujardet]I have no idea what the SDK is, but chances are you probably will endure less pain and suffering using documented Swift than venture in Xojo with a ton of declares. The most ironic being that you cannot come up with the appropriate declares without a thorough knowledge of both Swift (or Objective-C) and Xojo. So if you have to learn Swift to implement in Xojo, you might as well go Swift all the way.

Unless of course you already have a huge legacy code, but still, you will need a big overhaul to migrate to the new framework. And you may yet bump into the extreme limitations of Xojo iOS.[/quote]

Thanks a lot for the comment!