10.12 File open dialog blank

I’ve just tried running an app that was compiled in Aug 2014 (it is working correctly on 10.11.5) on 10.12 beta 2. The File Open dialog shows up as a blank gray window. You can cancel it with Cmd-period but that’s about it.

Anyone else notice this behavior?

Dave

link text

I did read that stuff from CNET. But we, as developers, should test everything under macOS, because soon enough, our customers, without reading CNET, will make the plunge. And we better be ready.

I think the point is that to go chasing bugs which will, hopefully, be fixed in the final is an exercise in frustration

Do not assume that any bugs will be fixed, I made that assumption and it back fired.

So it is to have customers that run macOS public beta and request support. We no longer have the luxury to keep Snow Leo forever. Adoption rates have become extremely fast, and I rather eat the same food as my customers than end up refunding my software because it has broken down.

Yes. And it’s only going to get worse because even though people say they understand it’s a beta, most have absolutely no intention of putting up with broken things.

That said, I prefer to start testing several months before a major OS release so I can keep what little hair I have left. %^)

Dave

I just gave up on the hair thing
I’m getting older & balder anyway so it wasn’t a big loss :stuck_out_tongue:

So…those of you proposing fixing bugs in beta versions, what do you propose David do about the black File Open Dlog?

try 2016r1.1 and see if it still occurs - it COULD be a xojo bug on older versions thats since been fixed

it could be a 10.12 issue - at which point “just wait” is all there is you can do

That’s the point I “tried” to make about 6 posts ago.

except for my first suggestion - which he can try

[quote=276228:@David Fultz]I’ve just tried running an app that was compiled in Aug 2014 (it is working correctly on 10.11.5) on 10.12 beta 2. The File Open dialog shows up as a blank gray window. You can cancel it with Cmd-period but that’s about it.

Anyone else notice this behavior?

Dave[/quote]
If it’s not a 64-Bit Cocoa application, you should really update as that’s Apple primary POF until ARM on the desktop becomes a reality.

At the very least he should file a bug report with Apple. They’ll probably close it as a duplicate, but you need to make sure that you’ve notified Apple.

Second thing. Create a bare bones sample project; the reason being is often in doing so you realize that it works, so then you can track down why it doesn’t work in your application.

There’s been several occasions where I’ve encountered non-wrorking open and save dialogs (such as not appearing).

• Specified a UTI without the UTI existing.
  • Sandboxed application which didn’t have the right entitlements.
  • Sandboxed application with a corrupted container.
  • Third party “Default Folder” not being compatible with the OS version.

Please please don’t assume that Apple will fix bugs. I’ve been there, sat back and said it’s Apple’s fault. They’ve broken the OS (again). Then the new OS ships, your application doesn’t work. So you tell the customers that have updated, it’s Apple’s fault. Some customers agree, some don’t. However most customers don’t downgrade to run your application. You start finding chargebacks from people that’ve bought your application and complaints about how the developer doesn’t care.

So yes, it’s Apple’s fault… But if you don’t act, it will cost you, not Apple.

Yes, I’m very angry with the amount of time I spend chasing Apple versus making new cool stuff. It seems that I spend half a year, making sure my existing stuff continues to work. It’s not a good relationship.

[quote=276228:@David Fultz]I’ve just tried running an app that was compiled in Aug 2014 (it is working correctly on 10.11.5) on 10.12 beta 2. The File Open dialog shows up as a blank gray window. You can cancel it with Cmd-period but that’s about it.

Anyone else notice this behavior?[/quote]

I just tried with GetOpenFolderItem as well as OpenDialog ; the dialog takes about one second to show but it displays fine.

I use an SSD so it is possible with a slower disk it takes longer.

I don’t know what may be causing what he sees, but I would try with both OpenDialog and GetOpenFolderItem, with the most recent version of Xojo, with a test project. As I did successfully just now.

I have long realized before putting the blame of bugs on the system or the programming tool, a simple test is often better.

I am sure there are bugs in macOS ; just not this one apparently.