Android Update Video With Paul Lefebvre

1. ‹ Older
  2. last week

Norman P

Mar 26 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro outside enjoying the fresh air

@Markus R a Project Group in IDE would be fine to edit Dektop+Android at once.

go read my blog post about the Universal Project

3. Paul L

Mar 26 Xojo Inc, Third Party Store

Disclaimer: I am making no promises about what will be available when we ship, but here are my comments.

@Markus R StartActivityForResult is needed to start other installed app and get their result. android apps are some kind of modular.

I've added this to our project tracker so we can consider it.

@Markus R a Simple Camera Class with Focus Mode is needed . (photo documentation)

Yes, this is already on our list.

@Markus R Barcode/QR/ID Reader from (live) Image would be fine. (must have at business apps)

Already on our list, although not expected to be a launch feature.

@Markus R question about opengl, is OpenGL ES (for Embedded Systems) used or is it the same as Desktop version?

OpenGL ES is not something we are planning at the moment. I've added it to our project list for future evaluation.

@Markus R nothing saw about RunTime Permissions .. for most of all permissions the user must allow this.

Right now we automatically include the necessary runtime permissions in the app manifest for you. I expect we will have a way for you to include others.

@Markus R ShowMap* (Google Maps Service should be mentioned as charged)

This currently just starts the Google Maps app on the device, so the API doesn't come into play. A native control would use the Maps API and note that Google charges for it.

@Markus R will the UI restored after Turn of the Device?

There are Xojo events that will allow you to do this yourself. No decision has been made whether we will also offer tighter integration with Android services for this.

@Markus R are color schemes considered?

We do want to have theming.

@Markus R will xojo share the android sdk from android studio? (i like to have it installed once and only set the path to it)

We typically tie Xojo to a specific SDK so that we don't require a specific version of the platform maker's tools to be installed and to prevent platform updates from breaking things in Xojo.

@Markus R a Project Group in IDE would be fine to edit Dektop+Android at once.

That's not really within the scope of the Android project.

4. you have to go step by step, there is also a need for a class to read the status of the sensors

5. Markus R

Mar 26 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe / Germany / Lower Saxon...

@Paul L

thank you for answering all my questions :)

6. Paul L

@Sebastien R Is 2020 will be the year for Xojo Android support ?

It's been less than a year since XDC 2019 so hopefully you can see the tremendous progress we've made in that time. We don't discuss when things will be available, but you can review the Xojo Roadmap here:

https://docs.xojo.com/Roadmap

7. Rick A

Mar 26 Pre-Release Testers (Brazil. UTC-3:00)
    Edited last week

The preliminary released info about the new PDFDocument class lists Desktop, Console and Web, and touch iOS when it gets API 2.0 overhaul, but... no Android mention?

What we will have for form layouts as Android have multiple choices, formats and live rotation and live expansion/collapse (unfolding/folding devices)?

8. Paul L

@Rick A The preliminary released info about the new PDFDocument class lists Desktop, Console and Web, and touch iOS when it gets API 2.0 overhaul, but... no Android mention?

It seems weird to talk about a feature that is not yet available for a platform that also is not yet available, but PDF is on our list for Android, although not likely a launch feature.

@Rick A What we will have for form layouts as Android have multiple choices, formats and live rotations and live expansion/collapse (unfolding/folding devices)?

To match how layouts are done on other platforms, Android is using FrameLayout to start.

9. Russ L

Mar 26 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

@Paul L
    Will printing either via Bluetooth or TCP connection be available
    To enable communication with label printers in factories?
    Also Bluetooth for barcode scanners etc?

10. Kato G

Mar 26 Pre-Release Testers Europe (Norway)

I need UDP socket support, I saw in another video that that this will be possible in iOS soon.
    Will android also support this?

11. Paul L

@Russ L Will printing either via Bluetooth or TCP connection be available

Printing is on the project plan, although not likely a launch feature.

@Russ L Also Bluetooth for barcode scanners etc?

I have added Bluetooth to our list, but that is not a launch feature.

12. Paul L

@Kato G I need UDP socket support

UDP is on our list, although not likely a launch feature.

13. Rick A

Mar 26 Pre-Release Testers (Brazil. UTC-3:00)

@Paul L It seems weird to talk about a feature that is not yet available for a platform that also is not yet available

Well, iOS, less important to me, is listed as "will have it as soon as we update it to API 2.0", so it is not weird to ask if the other, most used OS, will have the proper set of features to match it, as it will start already API 2.0 prepared.

14. Matteo S

Mar 27 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Trieste(TS), Italy
    Edited last week

Thanks for the update Paul. Some of the app i would be interested in setting up in xojo have some data that i'm not too eager to be in the open, i used fingerprint unlock on the protoypes to be sure that the right user is accessing them...That trick requires android 6.0 to work so the sdk pick that is being used for development (5.0) would make it impossible to do so. Any insight on this?

15. Paul L

Mar 27 Xojo Inc, Third Party Store
    Edited last week

@Matteo S i used fingerprint unlock on the protoypes to be sure that the right user is accessing them...That trick requires android 6.0 to work so the sdk pick that is being used for development (5.0) would make it impossible to do so. Any insight on this?

Biometric authentication is on our list, but it is not a launch feature.

Let me clarify the SDK details. It seems like I left it out of the slides, but we are developing against Android 9.0 (API 28) with the minimum version set to Android 5.0 (API 21). This allows us to use Android 6, 7, 8 and 9.0 features, but we have to make sure they appropriately fall back (or do nothing) when run on older Android versions. This would allow something like biometrics when run on a device with Android 6 or later.

Our goal is to always target a minimum version that lets us reach 80% of the devices in use, so the minimum version we support could change. However, newer Android versions are not adopted very quickly (at least compared to iOS) so things do seem to change more slowly.

16. Matteo S

Edited last week

There is no biometrics support for apps before API 23(biometrics was a device unlock only feature before) so i don't think you will be able to gracefully fallback for devices older than 6.x .

If https://developer.android.com/about/dashboards is accurate going 6.x+ would be 74,8 and they don't even count Q in their stats.

17. Paul L

Edited last week

@Matteo S There is no biometrics support for apps before API 23(biometrics was a device unlock only feature before) so i don't think you will be able to gracefully fallback for devices older than 6.x .

Right, so then on an older OS the feature would have to do nothing, raise an exception, etc. I suspect we will have options when we get to looking at that.

18. Matteo S

Edited last week

Thanks for the reply, I was a bit perplexed watching the slides as it looked like committing to have 5.0 api level only. When we do code for our internal devices, we settled for a 7.x and newer baseline as pretty much anything that is running 5.x and 6.x today is likely to be very ram constrained.

19. Ivan T

Mar 27 Pre-Release Testers
    Edited last week

@Paul L Right now we automatically include the necessary runtime permissions in the app manifest for you. I expect we will have a way for you to include others.

Maybe is a missunderstanding here. The Runtime Permissions is the way Android 6.0+ Permissions should be used. Evary time you use targetSdkVersion 26+, This is the default behavior for Android 6.0+

There are no permissions when the app is installed, instead, you request them when the app is running (runtime permissions) either all at once first time you run the app (really bad practice and discouraged by Android) or when you are going to do something that requieres it.

For example, the normal flow in an app that uses the camera is to call a checkSelfPermission() if the app donst have it, then it calls to requestPermissions(), When the users allows or deny it, a event is raised *onRequestPermissionsResult*, If you have the permission, you proceed using the camera, if not, you use a msgbox to tell the user that he cant use the function until he allows it.

Will xojo follow the Android guidelines and have this "RuntimePermissions" functionality? Or what is the idea?

Maybe you can make it part of the activity, including the Check and the Request Subs, along with constants for the permissions and the "RequestPermissionsResult" event.

Edit. The just Including the permissions in the app manifest, is for backward compatibility with Android 5.

20. Rick A

Mar 27 Pre-Release Testers (Brazil. UTC-3:00)

@Paul L Right, so then on an older OS the feature would have to do nothing, raise an exception, etc. I suspect we will have options when we get to looking at that.

Let people have an option to set the min API level to something above Android 5.0 (API 21) in the Xojo project properties. If you need biometrics... better... if you MUST HAVE biometrics, and it is only available on API23+, let the dev set the minimum API to API 23 (>=21) and the dev will guarantee that the app will be only installed on proper platforms.

21. Paul L

@Ivan T Will xojo follow the Android guidelines and have this "RuntimePermissions" functionality? Or what is the idea?

Yes, this is the idea.

@Rick A Let people have an option to set the min API level to something above Android 5.0 (API 21) in the Xojo project properties.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've put it on our list for consideration.

or Sign Up to reply!