Libs directory contents ?

When I compile a project, this project, (all with the same Xojo version) for WIndows, are there always the same .dll fles or my they be different ?

During some times, the shared folder does not worked with VirtualBox and so either I send the files thu a web server or I drag and drop it from a MacOS window (folder) to a Windows… window (directory).

Because the Libs folder size is 29.7MB, I took the habits to not copy it, only the .exe (3.7MB).

to date, the .exe worked fine on Windows, but I am asking myself (and now you) if this will always works (using the same Xojo version to compile the Windows application).

In my experience, this works OK. You’ll see that the Windows .dll files have the same date each time you compile, which is what you would expect anyway.

Nearly 30MB of dll… (around half that in a zip… with the .exe !)

The libs will change depending on which Xojo features you use, which Xojo version you use, and which plugins you use. You should not mess with the folder or it’s contents for deployment. You might get away with it in debug, but don’t roll the dice on building the release.

If you’re only testing in the VirtualBox, look into setting up the Remote Debugger. It will save you crazy amounts of time.

Hi Tim,

as you understand, it was for debugging purposes (plenty non working on Windows) only.

For the Remote Debugger: I never used it. Do you have handly a link to a how to ?

PS: my built-in sdd is a 250GB one. I fight everyday with lack of space :frowning:

I hope I will be able to get an 1TB SSD in my next machine (but when ?) :wink:

Here’s the documentation page for using the Remote Debugger

If you use the deskop app it’s pretty easy. On the target system (Windows in VirtualBox) open the correct 32/64 debugger app. In Xojo on the development system, open Preferences and select the Debugging tab. With any luck you should see your debug environment. If there’s any hiccups you’ll have to refer to the doc page, I’ve never had problems so I don’t have any heads up warnings for you.

[quote=477368:@Emile Schwarz]PS: my built-in sdd is a 250GB one. I fight everyday with lack of space :frowning:

I hope I will be able to get an 1TB SSD in my next machine (but when ?) ;)[/quote]

Use a cheap external one via USB. It’s what I do and I have all my VirtualBox VMs hosted on it. It’s easily fast enough for the job.

As I say, I’ve done this but only in the context of making minor changes to the app and then testing them again. In this scenario the Xojo version doesn’t change and I don’t use any plugins. Each time I build for Windows the libs don’t change and just copying the new .exe in seems to work fine.

Thank you Til, I will try that tomorrow (it’s 23H now).

I am looking at the External SSD prices since… and wait they goes down.

I already take two or three external HDs with me everyday, so one more is not a problem ;).