Feedback crashed and maxed my CPU with lots of cefsubproc.exe

1. ‹ Older
  2. last week

Kimball L

Sep 9 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Meridian, ID, USA

I hate to resurrect an old thread, but this is a verified bug, marked as reproducible, and has shown up in my shipping windows applications built with current release of Xojo. Any chance we can bump up the priority on getting this fixed?

Feedback Case #55867

I've made this my top case in Feedback, but it's serious enough of a problem I'm asking anyone else to wants it fixed to also go add it to their top cases.

3. Tom C

Sep 10 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (London, England)
    Edited last week

@Kimball L I hate to resurrect an old thread, but this is a verified bug, marked as reproducible, and has shown up in my shipping windows applications built with current release of Xojo. Any chance we can bump up the priority on getting this fixed?

Feedback Case #55867

I've made this my top case in Feedback, but it's serious enough of a problem I'm asking anyone else to wants it fixed to also go add it to their top cases.

Interestingly, we had a report of this from a customer just yesterday so I've signed onto that case and added a screenshot.

There's a colon missing from the URL that you posted. Here's the Feedback link: Feedback Case #55867

4. Alexander v

Sep 10 Europe (Houten, The Netherland...

Are Norman and Rick related?

5. Julian S

Sep 10 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Answer UK
    Edited last week

I was in two minds about releasing this as fixes seems to come slower if there's a workaround. While this isn't strictly a workaround and more of a mitigation as its been a few months now and there doesn't seem to be any movement on this being resolved I threw this together.

Just call cefCleaner.Clean() in your app.open and it will hunt for and terminate any cefsubproc.exe's that were created by your app.

I've tested this on the following but you might also want to test it and implement some error handling.

W7 32
    W7 64
    W8.1 32
    W8.1 64
    W10

If you can work it into your app so it runs at the end of your crash detection then that would be even better as the processes will remain running until you run your app again if its only in app.open. If you have it only in app.open at least you won't end up with a silly number of runaway processes if the user keep restarting your app after crashes.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pdbit6x5ug1iifx/cefCleaner.xojo_binary_project?dl=0

You can also call it when you want and it will terminate and clean up any htmlviewer webkits (best done when the window is closed and not instantiated)

Hope it helps.

6. Kimball L

Sep 10 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Meridian, ID, USA

Thank you for this workaround, Julian! I *really* wish it was not necessary though - this is a pretty large issue, and it really should get fixed asap.

7. Kimball L

Sep 10 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Meridian, ID, USA

@Tom C There's a colon missing from the URL that you posted.

Thanks for catching and fixing that, Tom - no idea how I messed up the original URL.

8. Norman P

Sep 10 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro great-white-software.com/blog

I quickly hunted for an API on Windows that would tie a child process existence to its parents
    And utterly failed to find one using CreateProcess
    It seems that unless you use a JOB CreateProcess (which i assume CEF is using to spawn the child exe's) can not set up a child process that will die if the parent dies
    So if the process that starts things crashes everything is orphaned - exactly what we see happening

A job however can terminate all processes that are part of it from what I can find

9. Rick A

Sep 10 Pre-Release Testers (Brazil. GMT-3:00)
    Edited last week

As far as I know a job is like a "group" where you organize the processes. If the parent dies, the children still become orphans, but now tied to this "group". If I do recall, it's a tool that can be used by the participants to know about each other. So, if you associate a main process and a child process into a "job", and your child process check for the list of those processes and find yourself alone, it can end itself, as it is orphan. On the other hand, if you group 10 processes in a job, and detect something wrong out of control, you can kill "the job", so all processes will end at once. @William Y could investigate and know better.

10. Rick A

Sep 11 Pre-Release Testers (Brazil. GMT-3:00)

And please, update the CEF engine. A LOT of crashing issues were solved since the current Xojo embedded one was released. https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/cef/commits/all

11. Tim P

Sep 11 Pre-Release Testers Rochester, NY

@Rick A And please, update the CEF engine. A LOT of crashing issues were solved since the current Xojo embedded one was released. https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/cef/commits/all

A feedback ticket with that information would go further. If you were to enumerate a couple key ones that Xojo suffers, they may be even more inclined to look.

12. Rick A

Edited last week

@Tim P If you were to enumerate a couple key ones that Xojo suffers, they may be even more inclined to look.

Choose one. https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/cef/commits/all?search=crash But which are included in Xojo, and how them affects Xojo, maybe just William knows. Those "floating" orphaned sub procs can be caused by some collection of those bugs (and other already fixed ones). The fixes are there just waiting. Postponing them is nonsense. If you want a better research, click here and read them all, there are more bugs and instabilities "not crashing" already fixed too.

Just the subproc orphans are enough argument, no need for extra feedbacks for updating the CEF with a more stable one.

13. Norman P

Sep 11 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro great-white-software.com/blog

Feedback Case #57389

14. Tim P

Sep 11 Pre-Release Testers Rochester, NY

@Rick A Choose one.

I am not the CEF subprocess expert, you seem to have more knowledge. I am trying to help you get these things fixed, so please don't take up an attitude. I am trying to be productive here.

I'm suggesting that you list these things for Xojo, Inc., not my own pleasure. Norman has opened a ticket, please add your expertise to that ticket to help convince Xojo that they need to do this. I am interested in having stable products as much as you are.

15. Norman P

@Rick A No need for extra feedbacks for updating the CEF with a more stable one.

There is. There always is.
    Without a case it may or may not get updated as part of updating Xojo
    With a case Xojo knows its important to you and anyone else that signs on and that should increase it's priority

Comments in the forums are just that - just comments - and they may or may not see them

16. Rick A

Now we have 2:

Feedback Case #55867
    Feedback Case #57389

17. Norman P

not really
    55867 is reporting the crash
    57389 is asking that Xojo update cef as part of their normal updates of Xojo (which may fix those crashes and it may not)

18. Rick A

@Norman P not really

It depends on who gets the bug ticket and how he handles it. My "mistake" is assuming others having a behavior like I would handling it. And it includes checking updates and fixes to engine involved (external and in constant evolution) without explicit request, testing, and checking if it fixed the issue, if not, further research and debugging takes place.

19. Norman P

I would not assume anything

20. Rick A

@Norman P I would not assume anything

Not true. You assumed that without another ticket, the problem could be even more delayed and/or poorly handled, so you did it.

21. Norman P

sure what ever rick

or Sign Up to reply!