Standalone vs CGI: Some questions

1. ‹ Older
  2. 2 weeks ago

Ralph A

May 9 Santa Monica, California

Thanks to all here who replied. Good info. Of course all this will depend on how whether Xojo Cloud or ServerWarp.com allow me to control such stuff. Right now, Xojo Cloud is CCGI only, and ServerWarp.com has no Standalone Do It Yourself.

3. Hal G

May 9 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, XDC Speakers CampSoftware.com

You have time. Xojo said they will keep CGI server around and I'm sure ServerWarp will too.

4. Greg O

May 9 Xojo Inc

@Hal G You have time. Xojo said they will keep CGI server around and I'm sure ServerWarp will too.

Right. Xojo Cloud will still provide cgi support for older IDEs for the foreseeable future, but once we release the new web framework, those IDEs will only build and upload standalone apps.

5. Tim P

May 9 Pre-Release Testers Rochester, NY

@Greg OLone Right. Xojo Cloud will still provide cgi support for older IDEs for the foreseeable future, but once we release the new web framework, those IDEs will only build and upload standalone apps.

Thanks for the clarification, Greg :)

6. Ralph A

@Greg OLone Right. Xojo Cloud will still provide cgi support for older IDEs for the foreseeable future, but once we release the new web framework, those IDEs will only build and upload standalone apps.

With ways for developers to configure that server to automatically restart a stuck Standalone app, etc?

7. Greg O

May 9 Xojo Inc

@Ralph A With ways for developers to configure that server to automatically restart a stuck Standalone app, etc?

I guess it largely depends on what you mean by “stuck.”

8. Ralph A

@Greg OLone I guess it largely depends on what you mean by “stuck.”

Unresponsive. Internal Server Error 500. Stuff like that.

9. Greg O

May 10 Xojo Inc

@Ralph A Unresponsive. Internal Server Error 500. Stuff like that.

There are some things that we can do about that. The least of which is to set up the load balancer to stop routing new sessions to instances which don’t respond quickly enough or respond with http server errors.

That said, over the years I’ve seen many user-caused situations which make their apps to respond badly and could easily trigger this mechanism. For instance, having a long running query that doesn’t yield could cause a timeout or an unhandled exception can cause a 500 Server Error response.

All of this is hypothetical at this point though. We have to get most of the new web framework done before any of the Xojo Cloud work can be started.

10. Stephen P

May 10 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

Hi Greg,

Interesting comment as I was under the impression that most of the new web franework has been done. From your comment that appears to not be the case ?

Steve

11. Ralph A

May 10 Santa Monica, California

@Greg OLone That said, over the years I’ve seen many user-caused situations which make their apps to respond badly and could easily trigger this mechanism. For instance, having a long running query that doesn’t yield could cause a timeout or an unhandled exception can cause a 500 Server Error response.

I was thinking more of cases where an iPhone user gets an Internal Server Error 500 because of its "deep sleep" problem (https://forum.xojo.com/53614-htaccess-and-cache-control ). But maybe that only happens with CGI apps and not Standalone apps?

12. Greg O

May 11 Xojo Inc

@Stephen P Hi Greg,

Interesting comment as I was under the impression that most of the new web franework has been done. From your comment that appears to not be the case ?

What I meant is that the work on Xojo Cloud can’t be done until the new web framework and IDE integration is complete. It’s just a matter of logistics.

13. Ian K

May 12 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

Sorry, I'm confused, are you saying that you won't build apps that will run under Apache anymore?

14. Greg O

May 12 Xojo Inc

@Ian K Sorry, I'm confused, are you saying that you won't build apps that will run under Apache anymore?

No. We are saying that they just won’t be CGI any more. You’ll still be able to use Apache as a front-end.

15. natale p

May 12 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

@Greg OLone No. We are saying that they just won’t be CGI any more. You’ll still be able to use Apache as a front-end.

how, with Apache? even now, without CGI?

16. Julian S

May 13 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro UK

@natalepappalardo how, with Apache? even now, without CGI?

Just like you would with apache sitting in front of tomcat:

https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-set-up-apache-webserver-proxy-in-front-of-apache-tomcat-on-red-hat-linux

17. Ian K

May 13 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

@Greg OLone No. We are saying that they just won’t be CGI any more. You’ll still be able to use Apache as a front-end.

Fair enough.

18. Greg O

May 13 Xojo Inc

@natalepappalardo how, with Apache? even now, without CGI?

FWIW, we’ve been using this configuration for the XDC app each year for four years now partially to get the configuration refined. It comes to 10-15 lines of configuration when all is said and done. When we get closer to release, we will talk more about this.

19. 5 days ago

Ralph A

May 19 Santa Monica, California

@Greg OLone There are some things that we can do about that. The least of which is to set up the load balancer to stop routing new sessions to instances which don’t respond quickly enough or respond with http server errors.

Could Web 2.0 Xojo Cloud allow for automatically stopping and restarting a Standalone app in this situation?

20. 4 days ago

Hanif S

May 19 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

@Greg OLone FWIW, we’ve been using this configuration for the XDC app each year for four years now partially to get the configuration refined. It comes to 10-15 lines of configuration when all is said and done. When we get closer to release, we will talk more about this.

Do you mind sharing the configuration now? We use a combination of Apache/PHP (webservice stuffs, significant traffic) with Xojo web app (UI stuffs) both hosted in same server remotely. Current temporary measure is using the Xojo web app as CGI handled by Apache and running standalone Xojo web app in diffrent ports (7000 and 9000).

However, my workplace network doesnt allow the use of ports other than http and https and in house user mostly has to be contend with the cgi app (slow). Otherwise they have to access using non-office network.

Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.

21. Greg O

May 20 Xojo Inc

@Ralph A Could Web 2.0 Xojo Cloud allow for automatically stopping and restarting a Standalone app in this situation?

Except for having a separate binary there’s no good way for us to know the right way to do this on every possible server configuration. While investigating solutions for Xojo Cloud, which is just CentOS 7+, I’ve found several really good ideas already. It’s really going to depend on the configuration of the individual servers.

or Sign Up to reply!