Font troubles, Windows only

Hi guys,
With 2016/3 I have a strange Label field behaviour: I updated these fields every second, and the font is adding up! See screen shot.
Further: the system font is not nice under Windows (unsharp, greyish): is there a way to have a different system font for Windows only applications?

It’s a Xojo Windows bug according Jason from Xojo!
Apparently this happens if the label field is within a groupbox (in my case within a tab panel and two group boxes).

Have you tried to set Label.Text to “” before assigning a new value ?

For system font, you may want to replace it by Segoe UI, which is the recommended font for UWP apps.

But what your screen shot shows looks like a non-HiDPI app on a scaled screen. Unless of course the characters weer very small and you blew them up to post. If you do use scaling (like 150%), you really want to make your app HiDPI aware, in order to have crisp fonts.

As a workaround, you can change the Parent of the label in the label’s open event to either the PagePanel or to Nil.

Hi Michael
Tried that now, but didn’t help. It is indeed a Xojo bug.
Where do I get this font, Segoe? Is there one that would do that comes with maxOS Sierra?

Tim’s workaround will probably work for the label.

The Segoe UI font is in Windows 8 and Windows 10. It is the sanctioned UI font for all recent apps, which has the best rendition possible.

If you work primarily on Mac, you can take Segoe UI from the Fonts control panel to move it to Mac. That will be much betetr than try to find a Mac font that exists under Windows. Heck, even Arial does not render identically.

Thanks Michel, will try to get that. didn’t find it i the Font Book, is there e a webpage to get it?

Tim, tried that with .parent = nil
It works, the numbers are ‘clean’ now, but the background color is like the window (grey) and not white like the group box…

[quote=301664:@Peter Kronenberg]Thanks Michel, will try to get that. didn’t find it i the Font Book, is there e a webpage to get it?
[/quote]

Peter, I tried to tell you it is part of Windows 8 or Windows 10. Aren’t you testing your app under the current version of Windows ? That would seem wise, to support your customers…

Tim, .parent = nil isn’t my temporary solution.
Since I have a tab panel, and on each some of such label fields, they show up anytime no matter what tab panel is selected.
Not nice…

Michael, sorry, no I only have Windows 7. Not sure what my users use.

See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2729094

I am not sure exactly what fonts they have in the update, since they list all fonts, but you can try to download it.

In Windows 7 the recommended sans serif font was Arial.

Did you try setting it to the tabpanel? I don’t know if that will correct the background or not.

Setting the label to transparent should do the trick.

With label.parent = tab panel it works fine temporarily.
Thanks, guys!
The font from MS doesn’t install on Windows 7. Is there such a font to be dowloaded for macOS?

[quote=301703:@Peter Kronenberg]With label.parent = tab panel it works fine temporarily.
Thanks, guys!
The font from MS doesn’t install on Windows 7. Is there such a font to be dowloaded for macOS?[/quote]

What do you mean ? The page I linked to is specifically targeted at Windows 7. What happens ?

No, Microsoft can keep their hideous attempts at fonts :wink:
We like San Francisco on Mac.

To be fair, San Francisco and Segoe UI are not that different in design.

Besides, Segoe is not a Microsoft creation. It was originally a very nice Agfa Monotype font, designed by Steve_Matteson.
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segoe

Microsoft simply adopted it for Windows 8.

And … It is not hideous, by all typographic standards.

You make your unfounded stabs at Mac, I make unfounded stabs at Windows.
It’s all in good fun if there’s emoticons! :slight_smile:

What unfounded stabs ?

Yes, I downloaded that font installer from one of these links. But the installer for that font just hangs under Windows 7 (in VirtualPC)…
What font to use unter Windows is recommended by Xojo? IS there a easy find/reace in your project to change all texts? What about a MsgBox text font?