Font troubles, Windows only

According to the documentation http://documentation.xojo.com/index.php/Label.TextFont
“System” is what you should leave it at so that each system will use it’s proper font.

Well, the Windows user complained that with ‘System’ the font seems unsharp.
But now will compile it with XOJO 2016/4, maybe thats the solution…

Many customers today use scaling.

Without HiDPI support, that indeed produces kind of blurry text.

Make sure to use HiDPI support. Even if you do not use elaborate multi images, crisp text is already superb.

I made a a movie and example project (based on RTFedit).
I use Xojo 2017r1.1 on Windows 7.

On the background - Xojo 2017 r1.1: not clear at all, changing the ClearType setting has no effect
On the top of the screen - a sentence drawn on a canvas (in the paint-event with Graphics.DrawString): similar to the text in the IDE
At the bottom of the screen - the RTFedit-box: everything is perfect, and the ClearType setting is working as expected.
The text in these 3 cases should look exactly the same

rtfedit-test-font-smoothing.zip
xojo-font-smoothing.avi

I made a new feedback case for this: Case #47932

I tested it also with 2017r1.1, and it seems to work now… So could delete the code for that groupbox parent trick.

Are you saying the font is sharp for you with 2017r1.1 and Bert’s test? I just tested it here (on Windows 10 with 2017r1.1) and regular text works fine, but text drawn in the graphics context still seems wrong here.

Sorry, my original trouble was that the font was overwriting in Windows. This seems to have been solved. The other thing with the sharpness I didn’t verify.

so what did u do to solved this problem???