Any Love for tvOS in the works?

Hi Folks,

I’ve been working with the new Apple TV and tvOS and Apple have done an amazing job of expanding the device platform to support games and other apps. Since tvOS is an offshoot of iOS, is there any discovery being done to include it in a future release?

[quote=223333:@Tim Jones]Hi Folks,

I’ve been working with the new Apple TV and tvOS and Apple have done an amazing job of expanding the device platform to support games and other apps. Since tvOS is an offshoot of iOS, is there any discovery being done to include it in a future release?[/quote]
Likewise.

<https://xojo.com/issue/40780>

PS You forgot to don your flameproof suit! Take cover!

My skin has gotten so thick that the local fire departments call me as a first responder in major conflagrations…

Tim “King of DoEvents” Jones :smiley:

Lets start with “No comment either way” :stuck_out_tongue:

That would be the most awsome thing ever.

No comment

Ofcourse there could be a XojoTV* in the future.

*Disclaimer: it’s just an idea, nothing to it.

No comment

Any other comment on this ?

+1

Guess :slight_smile:

You won’t get much discussion from Xojo Inc on this until and if they are ready. The best you can do is to make your voice known in the Feedback case for tvOS: <https://xojo.com/issue/40780>

And this one is for watchOS, if you’re interested (which is currently 11th, almost cracking the top 10): <https://xojo.com/issue/36809>

I know that @Tim Dietrich has a way of serving up TVML from a Xojo web app, but for now that’s probably the closest thing you’re going to get (and it still requires that you make the app in Xcode)

I had a lot of expectations for the 4th Gen Apple TV and see it as being effectively a mini Mac Mini, the hardware has great promise in my mind, with a beefed up CPU and the right software enhancements, there’s no reason why this couldn’t become the perfect computer for a dorm room, grandma, the kids room and so on.

The trouble is without love from Apple, it will never become something valid. I know so many people who’ve got one; but at the very most use it for streaming content from their Mac or iOS device. We occasionally rent movies from it, but those are over twice as expensive as renting a blu-ray from our local mama/papa store. I only do it when the local store doesn’t have what I want.

• Apple needs an all you can eat TV/Movies subscription service to start with. $10 a month sounds about right. Now it the perfect contender to replace our Cable service.
  • Powerful enough hardware so it can compete with a PS4 or Xbone in gaming.
  • Attention given to A class games developers to port their console games to the appleTV.
  • A PS+ like subscription service, where $10 a month allows you to download and play games.
  • Flawless bluetooth support or USB-C support so that a keyboard/mouse/trackpad/gamepad can be hooked up (remote on iOS is neat, but cumbersome).
  • Desktop like mode for word processing, web browsing and other creative apps.

These are just my thoughts, I was really excited by the 4th gen appleTV and was on the verge of pulling the trigger and developing a game for the appleTV, until I realized that the remote it comes with is not very practical and with the small amount of users, probably isn’t worth the effort for me.

The hardware is nice, but it seems the rate of adoption is not at the level Apple had hoped.

[quote=313835:@Sam Rowlands]Powerful enough hardware so it can compete with a PS4 or Xbone in gaming.
Attention given to A class games developers to port their console games to the appleTV.[/quote]

I do not think this will ever happen, because i think the we do not need another gaming console on the market. Apple today is not famous for non-mobile gaming platforms. And i think it is “wise” to make the AppleTV as close to the iPhone/iPad hardware as possible. So that it is always as easy to port iOS games to AppleTV as it is today.

I hope they focus more at adding Cable TV Channels, replacing our current Settop Boxes. I would LOVE to be able to do all my TV stuff via tvOS only. :slight_smile:

It’s now in the Top 10 :smiley:

http://timdietrich.me/viewpoint/
Viewpoint is an open source, Xojo-based framework for developing Apple TV apps using a client-server model.

Xojo developers can use Viewpoint to quickly and easily develop feature-rich, professional, secure, and scalable Apple TV apps. With Viewpoint, you can serve up both dynamically generated TVML / TVJS content, as well as static resources (such as photos, audio files, etc).

Viewpoint’s features and benefits include:
• Xojo-based - so you can have the full power of the Xojo programming language at your disposal.
• Supports several commonly used TVML templates - so you can apidly develop the server side of client-server Apple TV apps.
• Provided as a Xojo Web app - so you can deploy it on a variety of operating systems (Mac, Windows, Linux) and as either a stand-alone app or a CGI.
• Open source.
• And more.

Please keep in mind, Viewpoint it is not tvOS app development in Xojo the way it’s advertised.
I was kind of disappointed at XDC by how misleading this is.

You make the app in Xcode.
Submit it.
Update TVML through Viewpoint.

Ok, but that’s how a TVML app works.
An Xcode app just to setup the environment and a web app that serve contents and logic.