Xojo Web Application - Basic Questions

Ron,

When you say “use the database on our own server” do you mean on the same server as your app or on a server that is hosted elsewhere? Because your web app hosted at Xojo Cloud can connect to any database server anywhere in the world.

[quote=86071:@Norman Palardy]Writing the app is simpler than learning HTML, CSS, php (or whatever), javascript etc all on your own.
Deploying to your own server still requires you to know how to administer that server - not necessarily trivial stuff.
That’s why we have Xojo Cloud - one click deploy from the IDE[/quote]

Norman/Geoff - I have full cPanel access to our club’s server Hosted on BlueHost. I’m sure that I can configure anything that might be needed as long as it can be done from the cPanel interface. I don’t want to be a server expert, I don’t want to start all over with PHP. I am willing to work with anyone that can walk me through the process.

Xojo Cloud is not a solution for me - I need the application on our server using the database on our server.

Time to call for Xojo Pro Telephone support ?

Ron Bower

Well, this is going to be difficult unless the your server is set up right from the beginning. Can you take a picture of the left column of your cPanel and post here? Somewhere in there ought to be an indicator of what architecture the VPS is running on. If it’s 64 bit, someone will have to install 32 bit support. My HostMonster cPanel says:

Architecture x86_64

WE apps don’t run on 64-bit Linux without some help.

Brad/Geoff/Norman -

Okay, You’ve stated that the application will not run (well) at HostMonster. So, I’m ready to do some work on the application at BlueHost.

The cPanel side bar at BlueHost indicates the following:
Apache version 2.2.27
PHP version 5.4.24
MySQL version 5.5.37-log
Architecture x86_64
Operating system linux
Shared IP Address 69.89.27.230
Path to Perl /usr/bin/perl
Perl version 5.10.1
Kernel version 3.4.87-20140414.1.bh6.x86_64

IF I am dead in the water, then maybe I can cancel my Xojo Pro License - i just bought it yesterday after i was told that I should develop a working application on the desktop first BEFORE upgrading to Pro.

Am I now to believe that most most Xojo Web developers either own there own personal servers or use Xojo Cloud ?

Xojo Documentation Book-4, Section 1.4 certainly makes no mention of that fact.

Ron Bower

Ron - Have you tried deploying a stand-alone web app? As long as the 64bit libs are installed, that is much easier to do than deploying a cgi web app.

[quote=86092:@Ron Bower]Am I now to believe that most most Xojo Web developers either own there own personal servers or use Xojo Cloud ?
[/quote]

Neither. VPSs are the thing, but they have a little learning curve. It’s not as bad as everyone makes it sound, but it usually requires someone showing you the ropes. Like I said, I should do a webinar.

Your server is 64-bit. That won’t work without help. We’re stuck in 32 bit land for another year or so, unfortunately.

The ones that deploy to their own servers bite the bullet & learn how to administer them - you have no choice about that.
You have to sort out how to configure it, maintain it, secure it etc.
And this is true whether you use a CGI app or stand alone - but a stand alone app is much simpler to deploy - try that.
You’ll need the appropriate 32 bit libs but that certainly lowers the bar a fair bit.

Some host their built apps with third parties like Philips but again its not a one click deployment. I’m not familiar with what services they might offer to make deployment simpler.

Others host with our Xojo Cloud service - which is still in its infancy so doesn’t meet everyones needs

Jason - No, i have not tried that. The Xojo Documentation sure seemed to imply that CGI was the way to go. It didn’t seem like one could get to a stand-alone application using a Browser.

Looks like I’ll be trying to cancel my Xojo Pro license and start studying PHP.

“Your server is 64-bit. That won’t work without help. We’re stuck in 32 bit land for another year or so, unfortunately.”

Does that mean that I might be able to get it done if someone shows me how or that the Hosting Company needs to do somethoing to the server for me ?

Damn !!! I am just so lost on this.

I think that, at least to start with, stand-alone is the way to go (assuming Xojo cloud is not an option for you). You can get to a stand-alone with a browser.

[quote=86101:@Ron Bower]Jason - No, i have not tried that. The Xojo Documentation sure seemed to imply that CGI was the way to go. It didn’t seem like one could get to a stand-alone application using a Browser.
[/quote]
Certainly
It just means the http server is built into the application rather than relying on something like Apache

Okay, I really appreciate all of you who are trying to help, but I need someone to talk to me at my current level.

So I have built the application and have saved it in a folder on my desktop. There are two folders:

(Resources) and (WES_Test L:ibs)
Four Files: (.htaccess), (config.cfg), (WES_Test), and (westest.cgi)

Now, using FTP, where do upload those files to ?

After they get there, how to I run them with a Browser ?

you don’t “run them with a browser”
you have to have a web server (like apache or nginx or something) configured on the server
it has to be configured know to run cgi’s
then when the web browser connects to the web server the web server will run the cgi which will will run your app

and, its not much different whether you’re using Xojo or using php or whatever other tools to create your clubs web site
configuring your own server is something that you’ll have to do to make this work

[quote=86103:@Jason Parsley]I think that, at least to start with, stand-alone is the way to go (assuming Xojo cloud is not an option for you). You can get to a stand-alone with a browser.
[/quote]

He doesn’t know how SSH works, and he needs to launch stand-alone. That’s a steep hill. And if he’s got server issues to track down, I’m thinking strace is out of the question.

[quote=86110:@Ron Bower]Okay, I really appreciate all of you who are trying to help, but I need someone to talk to me at my current level.

So I have built the application and have saved it in a folder on my desktop. There are two folders:

(Resources) and (WES_Test L:ibs)
Four Files: (.htaccess), (config.cfg), (WES_Test), and (westest.cgi)

Now, using FTP, where do upload those files to ?

After they get there, how to I run them with a Browser ?[/quote]

Ron, all this becomes so much simpler with Xojo Cloud. Why is that not an option for you?

[quote=86110:@Ron Bower]Okay, I really appreciate all of you who are trying to help, but I need someone to talk to me at my current level.
[/quote]

Ron, if you don’t get help with this today, I can make time for you tomorrow to show you some ropes on this stuff. No charge over GoToMeeting. I want to doa

I give up !!!

Arrrrgh. This forum is trigger happy when I type. Anyway, I want to do a webinar on WE deployment soon, because there’s a lot of confusion in this area. Walking you through it would be good practice.

Okay, Brad, you seem to be my only hope at this point in time.

One problem with this forum seems to be that people jump in trying to help without reading the history. You seem toi be the only one that took the time to understand the situation.

I started the thread saying that I wanted to create a website to rep[lace our existing one - I even gave a description of it’s use and gave a link so anyone could see what I was trying to re-create.

It is a FREE club with no dues and a low budget. I have just spent $1,000 of my own cash just to try to do something for the club - Now, they want to spend more for Xojo Cloud.

I have no idea how this stand-alone thing works and it sounds like our club’s members could not get to it through a browser to our club’s web page.

I get told that they don’t expect their users to be server experts, then speak in a language that I can not understand.

If I were to tell then to “PSE QSY to my QRG and QRZ? - I Will QSL with ur QRK”, then I doubt they would understand what I meant. I don’t expect them to understand my tech-speak, why do they expect me to understand theirs ?

Please email me at Ron.Bower Verizon net and we’ll go from there. I can even setup a LogMeIN session for you if ytou want to see or use my desktop.

[quote=86145:@Ron Bower]One problem with this forum seems to be that people jump in trying to help without reading the history. You seem toi be the only one that took the time to understand the situation.
[/quote]

Yeah, don’t get ME started on that. Really. But… Web Deployment that’s not Xojo Cloud is still a huge topic with lots of pitfalls until we get 64 bit builds, but it’s very doable and very understandable.

I’ll drop you an email when I get back to my home office.