Xojo Web 2.x and COVID-19 (Corona)

[quote=479371:@Michel Bujardet]I am now confined, which should not be too much of an issue for development, as I am a single person company. But this morning I am facing another conundrum: seems DHL has also stopped operations. I could not get through on the phone.

I depend on it to send merchandise to the US. That could severely impair my business.[/quote]

I’m sorry to hear. I worked as a CTO for Deutsche Post DHL a few years ago. As far as I know their flight business is still up and running, but of course they are completly overwhelmed on the ground and hotlines etc. as many companies are.

But have a look here. As a medical doctor I’m afraid that this is by far more severe than the internet bubble burst. For the non French speakers: In the area of Colmar and Strasbourg a hospital is now facing a similar situation than in Italy. Medical stuff has to make the decision if they can help an older patient or a younger one, as they don’t have the equipment for both. I’m not working as a doc for many years now, but it can very well be that Germany will “reactivate” me again. In this case, forget about my proposal here.

[quote=479297:@Markus Rauch]the mistrust is there because microsoft/google/facebook/… are NOT trustworthy. < facts
plus others can get insight in your data from all over the world.[/quote]
Well, I think that’s a bit too black and white. You and your customers need to understand which data can be placed in a cloud and which shouldn’t and how you will protect (on your own) the data you will place in a cloud. Take E-Mail for instance, I don’t suggest to customers any longer using our own Exchange Server farms. Exchange online is for most customers the better fit, and E-Mails are anyways an open book like a postcard. And in my former jobs the most severe data breaches were done by " Joe’s" in our own data centers and not by “Joe’s” from an external provider …

But Web Framework 1.0, for instance, gave little to no guidance to a novice developer to force them to deploy secure applications. Of course, this is the duty of the developer, but it is helpful knowing that a framework has easy security features built-in out-of-the-box. SSL should for example not be an option but the default setting.

Good rule, I can’t agree more. I hate self-praise, so did not make clear that I’m a seasoned xojo (web) developer, as all of us here are. Again the purpose of my post was only to show that we have now the chance to test a new product deeply (as we will have nothing else to do). So if xojo is in the process finalizing a first beta, but it is scheduled for publication in let’s say 4 weeks, it might be possible for them to make it an early alpha already right now. I know pure and sole, selfish wishful thinking. But if you don’t ask, they won’t know, but now they do ;-).

We just can’t afford doing nothing in these days without business. As much as we are dreaming that the web framework 2.0 will become a sustainable big deal in the future, it might very well be that we have to change our mindset in the next weeks and just make vue.js or laravel our foundation. Not because we want, but because we have to move on and to use these difficult times for preparing ourselves for the future. We want xojo to be our trusted foundation for desktop and web. Migrating a Xojo Desktop App to a web app isn’t easy, but much easier than rebuilding it in a different language / framework.

Basically our “strategy” is now (as we have nothing to do), to “web-enable” a bunch of desktop apps, so that after the crisis we will have new products on our shelves to sell to our customers. That alone is wishful thinking, it might very well be that COVID-19 will keep us busy with other life challenges :-(.

Sorry for my sarcastic point of view. But this is how capitalism works. Privatize profits and let the losses shouldered by the taxpayer! Spain is nationalising its hospitals. Other countries will follow for sure. As it turns out, privatisation is only good for one thing: to let the infrastructure decay and to widen the gap between super-rich and super-poor.

I strongly believe more than ever that energy, water, health care, public transportation and maybe basic internet coverage should never ever be given away to private companies, as it turns out.

Triage is inevitable. It must be heart breaking for the medical community.

But my point was less about the COVID-19, than about the huge loss of business that we will all incur for the coming weeks. The Internet bubble burst had a tremendous effect on online sales, as probably will the present situation.

I do a good part of my business on Amazon US. Today, Amazon announced that it no longer accepts new shipment into its warehouses, unless for essential goods, such as face masks, baby, grocery, sanitary, industrial and scientific. It means if I run out of stock, I won’t be able to replenish.

Besides, I am not even sure carriers such as DHL or Fedex still operate.

Indeed, if we could get our hands on 2020R1 which hopefully sports Web 2.00, it would render confinement less dull.

I know what you mean, but Germany has one of the best medical systems worldwide, and not everything is privatized. Looking at the UK NHS I’m not even sure if a government is really managing things better. But ack to Germany: we have roughly 28.000 beds for intensive care, which can quite quickly be increased by 10 percent, with the help of the army, probably even by 15 percent.

This doesn’t help though if an epidemic crisis will hit you in a way, that you need al the sudden the double or triple of beds, or even more. This is not a fight against this virus only (which most patients will not much suffer from), it is a war to keep the health system in all countries up and running. And if one of the best health system in the world is afraid of missing capacities … wish us luck.

Wow, that sucks - I’m very sorry for you. I’m afraid as well. I mean we have savings but not eternal savings The Robert-Koch-Institute in Germany released today a communication that in the worst case the current measures might be needed for 2 years(!). Whatever will happen in the next weeks, the world will be a different one afterward and definitely bigger than the dot.com crash.

Exactly, and assuming that we have tons of luck and that the crisis will end by April or May, it would be a pity if 2020R1 will be released on June 1st. If I learned one thing in life, you have to stay focused. I’m expecting that latest by next Monday I will not have any big work to finish. I then have to decide what to put my efforts into. And after the decision made, I will focus on that tool only.

The French Minister of Finance admitted today the possibility of a recession, as a consequence of the COVID-19 crisis.

European economy was already slowing down, now it could be going under. We did not need that.

I agree. Without any doubt, corona will become very expensive for all of us. Especially for the US and the UK and other countries not willing to test. I wrote a smal article on this yesterday: https://jeannot-muller.com/whatever-it-takes-corona-update/

A clock? Probably. Now the code is running on the server but we do some performance and drawing optimizations and the clock only has to update once per second. 30fps seems unlikely. You could utilize some custom controls to do work client-side of course. But we really didn’t design Web Framework 2.0 for animation.

Good news!

Hi Geoff. Thanks for all the positivity, thoughtfulness, and care for the Xojo community you’ve expressed in the last couple of days.

I’m hoping there’s improvements to and more robust documentation of the WebSDK coming to Web 2.0 so the Xojo community can build some great WebSDK controls to extend Xojo Web in myriad, creative ways!

Stay safe!

First i wanted to say, I absolutely LOVE Xojo web coupled with Graffiti Suite. It has made tackling complex web projects a breeze.

Second, I am really looking forward to Web api 2.0, I just wish it was released today in order for me to start playing with during this time. One of the things I have to look at is to determine what does it mean to move a few of my big projects to the new version and when would be the right time. Example, should I wait a few Xojo release cycles before attempting to convert projects over.

Geoff, given that you have announced that Web 2.0 would have been ‘viewable’ at XDC from 25 March, has this expectation changed?

Therefore, which of these, if any, can we expect on the 25th, or should we expect another date?

1. A @Greg O’Lone Keynote video of Web 2.0
  2. An in-depth video of conversion of existing projects to Web 2.0
  3. An in-depth video of the new IDE elements in Web 2.0
  4. An in-depth video of the new API 2.0 coding in Web 2.0
  5. A new beta release of Web 2.0 (this may negate the need for 2, 3 and 4)

Oops …

mainly i will reuse/share source code from desktop enviroment.
have web 2.0 graphics Anti-aliasing?

We will be making Geoff’s keynote, as well as our sessions on Android and Web 2.0 available via YouTube for everyone next week.

As stated a while ago, attendees should be enabled to play with a alpha/beta of the coming Web 2.0 environment during the session at the conference. I don’t need to play with it myself now, since I was not subscribed for XDC Connect 2020, but it would be nice to read some first impressions from Xojo friends who intended to attend.

Not at all. I appreciate your enthusiasm!

This is why we provide Xojo Cloud. So that developers can easily deploy secure applications without having to learn all it takes to provide a secure server and keep it secure.