Xojo Stepped in it

Then you may be pleased that the Roadmap has shuffled again, and Documentation is now number one on the list :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Just because it’s a new documentation system doesn’t mean the content will be correct. Xojo doesn’t need a new documentation system in order to correct the errors that are there. Errors that are made worse by the amalgamation of frameworks they have introduced over the last years.

5 Likes

Perhaps one that users can contribute to.

4 Likes

We all got pain points and they’re trying to do something really hard. As long as it remains a useful tool is all that matters to me.

2 Likes

Since Xojo inc. develops a new documentation system, they have to actually maintain two of them.

Once the new one is deployed, they can concentrate on the new one and cleanup some of this problems.

2 Likes

It’s not the system that sucks, it’s the description texts (and images)…

Compare the documentation of the new Desktop controls vs the old ones…

1 Like

Being that Android is available to people who have an iOS/Pro license for beta how is this not number 1 and why has it been bumped down the list again? Xojo was one of the first IDEs to support M1 after a few months yet Android has taken literally years… As Android has been delayed so much, I’m sure most of us have given up waiting for it, found other tools and lost an increasing amount of confidence in Xojo Inc.
The amount of people who have to ask how things work on these forums does show how much the documentation is not fit for purpose, but it’s a content problem not the system it’s presented on.

Just the messenger here. Not even an MVP. I don’t have answers to your questions, sorry.

Apologies if you felt it was aimed at you @Tim_Parnell. My comment was just related to your post (change in roadmap).

That is a shame (again). Limiting the input so much could make the thing being iOS/Mac centric… maybe not what most people will want for an android target…

Simple: Xojo Inc. expects to have other things shipping before Android ships.
They work on Android for years now, but it is unlikely to be finished for r1 or even r2.

2 Likes

Remember the MBS conference of April 2017, where Geoff showed us the first premature
Xojo4Android developments.

Yes, I also remember the announcement alongside the Black Friday sale that year which said that a Pro license purchased that year included upcoming platforms like Android when they are released! …

Not all: String.IndexOf
Of course, the real issue here is it should have been renamed PositionOf, since it’s not a 0-based index like (most) all others are now. And the clue/reminder is right there in the documentation - “Returns the position of …”. And this description has been there all along, copied directly from InStr which it replaced. And it’s even more confusing/annoying because the docs for InStr stated that it begins at 1, and that it returned 0 for not found. But for IndexOf they removed the helpful note about beginning at 1, but changed the “not found” to -1. So 0 is not used at all!

Just another example of how it’s hard to clean all the crud from your shoes after you’ve stepped in it! :wink:

1 Like

Not true. IndexOf is 0-based.

1 Like

There has been an answer to your question. Many projects are under development at the same time. It happens that Project B advances much more than Project A, meaning chances are Project B will be finished before Project A. The result is that Project B goes up and Project A goes down in the Roadmap.

You are correct. Not sure why I still thought that. Was there a prior version (besides InStr) that was, or some other issue with string indexing? Seems like there was which is why I still thought it was 1-based.

Still would be helpful (and keep people like me from jumping to the wrong conclusion) to state that up front like other index doc entries do.

String.NthField() is still 1-based.

:man_facepalming:t2: this IS an index isnt it?

could it be renamed to String.Nthindex(), But, yeah, API2 consistency!

No. It’s a field not an index.