Xojo Roadmap

I really appreciated the possibility of creating plugins in xojo.I find it a very neat way of packaging and distributing new functionality.
I hope it’s released soon!

I’m just happy they published a rough agenda of what they plan to get done and roughly the ordering
I get that things change and sometimes the best laid plans get ruined by unanticipated chnages by others (Apple anyone ???)
At least we have some idea what they expect to do and in what order

Happens with every tech company I report bugs to
I have a couple really simple ones with Apple that are now 5+ years old
And I know that Joe reported one to Apple when we worked together that was closed as a duplicate of one that was, at the time, 16 years old (literally from the NeXTStep days)
No idea if they fixed it yet

Not in part but nearly complete. We may find a few things we somehow missed that we fix in future releases but overall, the entirety of API 2.0 should be appearing in the beta.

Great! Now why can’t I find the disco dancing emoji anywhere?

Sadly emojis don’t work on this forum.

:stuck_out_tongue:

I thought about using emojis from character palette in MacOS, which causes trouble here.

oh ?

edit : well preview showed them but actually posting they got nuked. fun feature

The email came with your smileys, but here I don’t see them.

thats really weird as when I edited my post they were not there any more :slight_smile:

It was reported:

https://forum.xojo.com/28042-can-t-include-emojis-in-text-directly

Well actually we do need some kind of date line if we are to make commitments to clients… and saying nothing is not an option since it’s a sure way to see customers exiting the platform. So instead we have the old IBM playbook - mention what’s coming, make no commitments and tell people it might change. Without any serious commitments, it’s a wish list.

I love working with XOJO and Basic is still my favorite language, but the reality is that my dependence on it has dropped big time in the last 12 months or so. I can now do the console stuff, the micro services and web stuff in .Net Core as well. I can see this community starting to loose ground if we don’t see a bit more than a future feature list from the vendor.

[quote=445856:@James Dooley]Well actually we do need some kind of date line if we are to make commitments to clients… and saying nothing is not an option since it’s a sure way to see customers exiting the platform. So instead we have the old IBM playbook - mention what’s coming, make no commitments and tell people it might change. Without any serious commitments, it’s a wish list.

I love working with XOJO and Basic is still my favorite language, but the reality is that my dependence on it has dropped big time in the last 12 months or so. I can now do the console stuff, the micro services and web stuff in .Net Core as well. I can see this community starting to loose ground if we don’t see a bit more than a future feature list from the vendor.[/quote]

Code for what’s available and don’t make promises you don’t know you can keep. They provide a date, you tell a customer, something goes wrong and it gets pushed back, you look less professional.

More info is always better. Yesterday there wasn’t a published roadmap and today there is. That’s a net positive. :slight_smile:

Web Framework 2.0 could bring me back. I’ve been thinking a lot about web apps lately. So, that’s a plus.

Or do the more obvious thing that you’re competitors are doing… use a language in which you know you can deliver the features today. Telling a customer you’ll deliver an Android version of the app sometime in the future will not work when they have an other proposal sitting on their desk committing to 6 months, no matter how you dress it up.

You should obviously use whichever tool will enable you to deliver what the customer needs. That’s not the scenario you presented, though. :wink:

Where is this more info? It basically no different to the list we had a couple of months a go.

I love Xojo and am happy to see that the company is willing to share some of their development goals with us. What programming language (company) treats their customers … kind of like family? You can write the CEO and he usually responds. You can share ideas with him. (A lot of other companies out there treat their developers like they are annoying weeds in a private garden.)