Xojo Roadmap: New Desktop controls with API 2 events

Except the moment you save, close Xojo and re-open Xojo, it will then only display API 2.0. :frowning:

In some cases, I’ve been lucky in starting a project in an older version and then working on it later in a newer one, sometimes that preserves API 1.0 auto complete, sometimes it does not.

As time has gone by, I’ve learned to trust myself as pretty much know API 1.0 off by heart.

Works only if one codes like Markus does.
Like:

• Create a new Project using the Template
  • Write all you code and finish the Project
  • Save your Project
  • Push the Project to your Repo
  • Release your App
  • Never touch the Project again

:rofl:

2 Likes

Pretty close. There is a reason why I use 16 desktops (#1 for email, messages, social, #2 - #6 for Xojo projects incl xDev articles, #7 for VMs (Windows, Linux), #8 for buying and selling, #9 for Swift, #10 for Misc, #11-#15 for the house (gardening, cooking, flooring, upcycling, repairs, #16 helping a friend with her business) and have over 1200 websites open in Safari on my 2010 Mac Pro 5,1 with 2x 3.47 GHz Xeon, 96 GB RAM, and (since 4 months ago) a 1 TB m.2 SSD on a PCIe card as the system volume … basically I never shut anything down unless it’s done … though updates requiring a restart are a pain as it takes me at least 20 min to get everything sorted (allegedly from Catalina on the windows remember on which desktop they are, but I’m still on the last officially supported version for my 2010 Mac Pro aka Mojave)

1 Like

I wish I could “like” this 1,000 times…

We need other things first, like Modern Win 10/11 features.

5 Likes

Where is the feedback case with such high number of points to justify the “New Desktop Controls with API 2.0 Events” ?

I thought it was based on the number of points in feedback that prioritized features?

1 Like

I don’t know about that, but when a privately owned software company comes out with new features based on their own ideas, this is typically referred to as an innovation.

I, for one, fully support the whole API 2.0 initiative to modernize the Xojo language and look forward to more such innovations by the Xojo team in the future.

8 Likes

Please have a look at A Modern & Consistent Future with Xojo API 2.0 – Xojo Programming Blog Note that roadmap has changed.

Well i do support innovation, API 2.0 etc. but the same controls with new names ?

It says “New Desktop Controls” but i’m not that sure about such “new” controls could exist ? Perhaps it’s more like “Redefined Desktop Controls” or is there a new type of “Button”, “Listbox” etc. ?

I’m sure the new events are going to be really hard to understand for newbies since they read docs online, in the forums, via google etc. and if suddenly all “new” controls have other event names.
I’m just not seeing the point of the time investment as more people have here…

Changing event names and keywords without adding real functionaly it is more marketing than “innovation”

2 Likes

That has never been the case. Feedback points are just one of many factors that guide Xojo’s decisions.

Right. They’ve said that time and time again.

You make some good points @DerkJ and there is no doubt that the transition to API 2.0 has caused some pain, confusion and lost hours for many folks.

Are they “Redefined Desktop Controls”? Maybe your wording is better. We’ll see.

I guess what excites me more about API 2.0 though, is how this initiative will greatly extend the shelf-life of the Xojo language.

Sure, in the near-term there will be some lose to the relevance of some great posts from some very talented contributors (like yourself), when some controls names and events in older forum postings don’t line up with the modern documentation.

But when is the right time to make the switch?

That is not an easy question to answer, without disappointing someone.

For myself, I admire that Xojo has committed to getting API 2.0 out and done as quickly as they are able, so that we can all start enjoying sooner; a much more lasting Xojo programming experience long into the future.

7 Likes

DropDown calendar for desktop.

Not here, using Xojo 2021 R2 and a template from 2018 R3.

I can save and my API 1 autocomplete remains active, even when quitting Xojo.

What I CANNOT DO is “Save As” - then I get a warning that this will increase the minimum IDE version and that this change is irreversible.

I don’t recall which version it was, but when I tried this last year after it was suggested to me by Xojo staff, it didn’t work for me, and really didn’t help my opinion on the API 2.0 migration.

I guess we should be thankful it’s nothing like the Objective-C to Swift transition that is still ongoing.