Xojo Perf Varies Greatly by Distro

In the article at http://cully.biz/2014/04/07/xojo-on-linux-part-2-of-2/ in the part for Elementary OS it said: “I didn’t have to manually install WebKit on the distribution to get the Xojo HTMLViewer to work but once done, it worked seamlessly.”

I already thought that was weird. Your statement here explains it :slight_smile:

Maybe you can correct the text on the website article.

My fingers don’t always type what my mind tells it to. I will make the correction! Thanks Dirk.

I’m installing Fedora 32 with Gnome right now for testing. We’ll see how it does. It already doesn’t like the dynamically sized hard drive in VirtualBox. I’m trying again with a static 20G VM hard drive.

I have not tried Linux Mint x64 yet, but I do not see any of those issues using the x86 (32-bit) equivalent.

There’s a problem installing Xojo on Fedora 32. I can’t install from the RPM. I’ll create a Feedback report.

Completed testing on Fedora 20 32bit. Blog post updated but here’s the results:

[1] Thumbs down for Fedora with the Gnome 3 desktop. Slow with 4 seconds for menu to appear when Right+Clicking, webkit problems, desktop did not auto-detect that the VM window was resized and for it to resize the desktop.

[2] Thumbs up for Fedora with the MATE desktop. Fast 0 seconds for menu to appear when Right+clicking. Webkit works. The only ‘ding’ is that the desktop still did not auto-detect that the VM window resized and it needed to resize the desktop.

If you have a customer that runs Redhat servers, or CentOS servers, you may want to consider Fedora with the MATE (or XFCE or KDE - not tested) desktops.

Hope this helps.

Good info, Kevin. I’m grabbing Fedora 20 MATE and xfce now to try.

The latest release version of Xojo (2014r1.1) has cleared up the issue I was having with styles configuration not working correctly :slight_smile:

[quote=77803:@Paul Lefebvre]I’ve yet to run into trouble remote debugging into any version of Linux that I’ve tried. I just tried Mint and it worked just fine.

BTW, I’m using this version of Mint:

As with Kevin, I’ve also been testing some other distros of Linux with Xojo. Mint has been working quite well so far.[/quote]

Paul, quick question since you’re a Linux Mint fan (I was too, still am… but running into a lot of unexpected and disheartening issues). When you open Xojo (I’m using 2014r1.1) and create a console app… then try to debug it… do you get a terminal/console box that appears?
It’s my understanding you guys at Xojo just put Linux Mint 16 (petra) 32-bit as a supported distro, but I can’t for the life of me get this to debug properly. It does work if I ‘build’ the app, open a terminal window myself and go that route; however, people who don’t have a build license will not be able to do this. Any suggestions?

Run Paused

FYI, @Paul Lefebvre is on vacation so don’t be surprised if he doesn’t respond immediately.

I tried… still nothing.

Ah, didn’t know. Thanks…

[quote=78128:@Kevin Cully]There’s a problem installing Xojo on Fedora 32. I can’t install from the RPM. I’ll create a Feedback report.

[/quote]

I had the same problem. As a workaround, I installed from the program files, which worked, but then Xojo did not show in the Programs menu :confused:

an old thread…but I figured I’d reply. The only test is to “right click” and see how long a menu pops up? What about actually using the IDE and dragging multiple fields or selecting multiple fields to see how long it takes for the IDE to actually “select” them to where you can modify them as a group etc. Not much of a test scenario.

You are more than welcome contributing better or additional test cases and results. :wink:

Agreed, however scripting the interaction of the IDE across various platforms would be very difficult as a means of comparison.

I have created a benchmark suite that I use to benchmark performance of a compiled Xojo application. This benchmarking suite does simple windows movements, database operations (affected by hard drive performance), and mathematics. This should help me compare various Linux distributions, Windows and Mac. It will also help me benchmark Xojo 2014r2 versus Xojo 2014r3 when it comes out.

Comparing Xojo on Ubuntu versus Mint
ctBenchMark

[quote=129800:@Kevin Cully]Agreed, however scripting the interaction of the IDE across various platforms would be very difficult as a means of comparison.

I have created a benchmark suite that I use to benchmark performance of a compiled Xojo application. This benchmarking suite does simple windows movements, database operations (affected by hard drive performance), and mathematics. This should help me compare various Linux distributions, Windows and Mac. It will also help me benchmark Xojo 2014r2 versus Xojo 2014r3 when it comes out.

Comparing Xojo on Ubuntu versus Mint
ctBenchMark[/quote]

NICE. I appreciate what you’ve done btw. I was going to install a few distros on my 1U and test the IDE responsiveness to see if the “seat of the pants” feels like its running faster. I get very slow response when selecting multiple fields on a window and waiting for Xojo to highlight them all and doing various things with them like copy-n-paste. Running my app thru Xojo isnt an issue…it runs at an acceptable speed.

From my experience, it appears as if the XFCE desktop performs the best, and Unity the worst.

I figure I will revisit the performance issue in April 2015. We’ll see what a year has meant to the Linux distributions and to Xojo on Linux. :smiley: