Xojo OS X > macOS

Catalan

That translation is very nice, and true.

But, regarding macOS:

I don’t need a new major version each year.

Nope. IMHO an OS should have a major feature update every two years. The in-between year should have a performance, efficiency, security, and bug fix release along the lines of Snow Leopard.

And we desperately…desperately need a Snow Leopard.

Me too, unless I face a major bug :-{

Correct. One could also put it that way:
Apple post-Jobs seems an awful lot like Apple post-Jobs.

Sculley and Amelio were much worse than Tim Cook. The first one pushed boxes with little regard for the product, and the second wanted to turn Macintosh into yet another compatible hardware, with mostly the very same components as the PC. Plus, he licensed the Mac and typically wanted it to become a brown product.

Fortunately, we are not quite there yet.

Well, J. Yve has damaged the brand already in a severe way.

And there is also absolutely no sign that Apple cares about business users anymore. The newest MacBooks – as neat as they are as toys – show that the responsible people at Apple don’t get it. At least there is no MacBook Pro in rose-gold… yet.

I do not care about that… unless they are doing few attention to that hardware (all lines of products: portables, Mini, iMac, Mac Pro).

No late than two days ago (Saturday, December 24th), a woman ask me about the cost of my MacBook Pro (at my local McDonald’s): I searched in the Apple Store and told her the price of the entry level model (128GB SSD !) and she said: “Too expansive !”.

Go figure.

So, I start to care, I am starting to ask myself what will I do next year when my current MacBook Pro will die ?
(My three previous Apple laptop died on their third anniversary.)

The rose-gold was a joke. I was missing them, too. The first time I saw the gold version I thought my eyes were having a problem.

I agree the MacBook is not a pro tool. But it is rather nice as a travel accessory. I did not go for pinkish, I just went gold.

I have no issue admitting I am very sensitive to design, and frankly that one is beautiful. But what is nice about an entry level misses the target when it comes to a pro machine that will be used everyday by professionals.

I don’t know if it is Jony Ives fault entirely, although he probably plays a big role. The discourse of Federighi is more disquieting. Contrary to what usually happened with Apple struggling to be at the forefront, he articulates the kind of snobism “it’s good enough for you”, whereas Steve would say just the opposite “It’s not good enough yet”.

I feel that kind of thinking is just contempt for the customer, and it shows throughout. Four usb-c will be good enough. No need to expand memory, it will be good enough. And so on.

If the new Mac Pro is of the same vein, we can fear a lot.

OK. But if there is a market for this color…

More seriously, shrinking the size and weight of the Apple laptops to do what ? What is the ultimate goal ?

At some point, it may be better to stop shrinking and keep a bit space inside the laptop to get better cooler inside the box. My 2 yo laptop start to be hot when I edit video, download data massively… and the one I get before (and keep 3 years), etc.

For the record: each wednesday (and some other days in the week), I take TWO laptops with me) a 2in1 Windows 10 machine and my MacBook Pro from 2014-12. My shoulder does not broke, it is not too much to travel with them. Having two laptops in my McDonal’s table is a bit too much, but while I download the Tuesday updates (Windows 10) and macOS Sierra (included betas), I am able to surf the internet with the other machine.

I do not have any Apple’s inside knowledge, and so I cannot enven try to understand the whys of this continual race aginst size and weight. Who recall the PowerBook Duos ? They were already small and powerful, 20 years ago.

It may be time to change the paradigm.