Xojo on Android.

If I remember correctly Normal ones told it is pretty difficult to add Android support. It would be a work from zero.
Also, the Android APIs more or less change every week (so to speak) and would be very hard to keep up with it. Seeing Xojo Inc already has few resources to maintain/improve iOS support … not sure if this a good idea with the current way how Xojo Inc works.
A huge (external) investment (read: money injection) would be needed for sure.

Precisely what I was saying. I doubt very much Anywhere Software has a very big budget. Probably more like one of us than Xojo.

I agree, it is strange to observe so many failings with apparently no real conscience that it could be bad. The preposterous state of iOS, where an independant developer like Jean-Paul Devulder did more in a month than Xojo in two years, the now one year old standing promise of plugins in Xojo, the constant refusal to offer DLL and DyLib compilation, and on, and so on.

I wonder if it is indeed not enough resources, or something else …

When I started back in the eighties, very real programmers like Dan Bricklin invented the spreadsheet and programmed it in Basic. So did I. If I remember right, Laurent Ribardière programmed the Mac 4D database in Pascal.

It is not because today fashion is on C and Java that people like me and thousand others who programmed before today’s snobs learned to speak and walk are phony. I bet in a decade or two, there will be something else, and them, in turn, will be call not real.

yes it was, but mainly because mac programming at the time (MPW) all api where pascal based.
apple then rewrote them for C ( and then for objective C and then for swift …)

[quote=289456:@Jean-Yves Pochez]yes it was, but mainly because mac programming at the time (MPW) all api where pascal based.
apple then rewrote them for C ( and then for objective C and then for swift …)[/quote]

I know Apple changed on developers. I was there.

My point is that the language does not make the programmer. Talent does. I know an awful number of idiots who learned C and remain very, very bad programmers.

Saying that real spoken language is English for instance, would be just as stupid. It is common, sure, but the top spoken language in the World is Chinese. So should an imbecile say that real speakers speak Chinese ? I think not.

I think Xojo inc is investigating or researching the possibility to develop for Android. I think it came from Dana Brown but I am not sure. I think it was somewhere in Augustus.

Anyway, this would be very good news. For example, we would not hesitate, like we are doing now, for renewing our licence.

Chris

Xojo BASIC is not the same BASIC it was decades ago. I also like Pascal very much, when I used it, it was as if it was as natural as my own language to me. I made many nice applications in Pascal.

However, I also make nice applications in Xojo. It is better to create a good application in Xojo (BASIC) than a bad one in “C”, despite the status of the last.

Mid-ninetees, I was using C for some applications until a teacher pointed me to the fact that I was taking more than double the time spent on those who used RAD tools. Nevertheless, I received a higher score for my C endurance in her classes than most other students using those RAD tools.

The language “C” helped me, even today, in writing better applications in Xojo. I have a lot of “C” books, which I sometimes also use when I develop in Xojo.

Despite its many shortcomings, Xojo is a very good language and development tool. I use it now for 11 years, and it never let me down.

Chris

It will not be BASIC. As it will not be Pascal. Or or or… It will be C/C++, C#, Java, and maybe Swift – depends on how functional programming evolves into OOP languages. That’s it. Hey, not even Scala made. Only Apple and Microsoft can push a language to success.

Nobody cares about that. There are no things which make Xojo stand out in regards to other non-BASIC based languages. It is the most advanced BASIC language, but that’s it. It’s a niche player.

You are a real snob, aren’t you ? Are you ashamed of using Xojo ? Really ?

I deny you the right to judge who is or who is not real programmer, anyway. This is immature, rude, and pointless.

BTW what are you doing with a bunch of no real programmers here ? Is it not time to leave ? Go get some recognition with real programmers, come on. Off you go. Bye bye… Microsoft forums, Apple forums, that is where you will find real programmers :wink:

With compile time around 30 seconds, they are in a range where run becomes possible. I bet what is holding them back is the need to programs hooks.

No.

No.

There are no books. No known programmers outside of this community. Not blogs (besides Bob’s, which I like very much). Xojo is not mentioned anywhere or talked about by anyone. It has no significance in the developer community. Sorry, but this is a fact.

By the way: I love working in Xojo and it about 2/3 of my work.

@Eli Ott,

Can you tell me where “C”, C++, C# stands out in regards to other languages? Maybe the fact that you spend twice (or more) as much time as in other languages? Or maybe the fact that you had to learn so much to get those “C” skills?

I also agree with Michel, if “C” is so good and Xojo is so inferior, why are you still here, using Xojo? I give you another personal example, I learned Construct 2 (which is very good) for developing educational games for our 7 year old daughter. I want to stress out, it is a very good 2D game development tool. But in the end, I turn to Xojo to create the final game. for the very simple reason that I have more control, can go just that small bit further and only bump into my own limitations. By the way, Construct 2 is HTML5/JavaScript, so in your table of success, it is even lower than Xojo.

Like many others, I have to get the job done! And Xojo let me accomplish that and more. Never under-estimate developers, in whatever language they develop because, and before you realise it, they out-class you and make you feel “sub”-standard.

To close : if I would continue using “C”, I would never have reached what I have today. I was too small to be profitable in C. That is the truth, and I am not ashamed to admitt it. Nowadays, I only use a small sub-set of C when programming Arduino but mostly I use Xojo.

I’m locking this thread because several posts have violated forum guidelines.