Xojo in 2017: A Review [Part 5: When To Use It] [Final Part]

The end users could say the same about your software. To them you are just a plugin for the computer they purchased at the store.

Everyone has a perspective. I’d like to see the Xojo plugin community to grow which helps us benefit from quality code and enhancements to our toolboxes.

I was more curious if there were practical suggestions you might have to make a sustainable plugin market that you could stomach. I understand you were burned once. I had a relationship go sour once and I did not have the source code to her heart but that did not stop me from trying again.

Phillip… I tell you what… you don’t tell me what my opinions and actions should be, and I won’t tell you yours. I have the right to use or not use whatever tools I see fit from my perspective, and I support the right of you and everyone else to do the same.

So that being said… I am leaving this conversation, as it has become counter-productive… just like a debate about politics or religion…

I contradicted Phillip too on most of his arguments in this thread, but never in such a rude way. I think you should apologize to him.

The good thing is you’re not following this thread anymore so I can be rude to you:Get a life…

Dave I was not trying to offend you. It is obvious you have a very passionate opinion on it. I thought maybe you would have some ideas for Xojo that they could do better to promote the third party market and meet your requirements.

Like what if a plugin store was built into the IDE? Do plugins have to be source available for you to purchase?

As you know I sell add-ons for Xojo and will sell more. You are a valuable member of the community and obviously I would like to sell you some. I am genuinely curious under what parameters you would accept help from a plugin. Maybe you never would and that is okay. Just curious.

That is exactly right. The knowledge is worth as much as the control itself. That being said I did start to use some plugins.

As a rule I try think about this when I purchase any plugin or tool. For example if Xojo went out of business tomorrow I could continue to create apps until Windows 32 Bit became obsolete. The same with plugins. I prefer source code I can modify, but if a plugin works for me now, and I’m not investing in some future improvement then I should be OK.

One caveat though. A future version of Xojo could cause my plugin to stop working, At such a point I must choose to either replace the plugin or be prevent from upgrading to the newest Xojo. This is something to be kept in mind when using plugins.

For myself I still prefer to spend 10 hours creating a solution myself than buying a closed source solution for $10. I really only use plugins for stuff I can’t figure out how to do on my own.